Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:11 AM   #1

Hi there I have just ordered a SX1, and i am looking for a few things for it, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for

a case, and anything else recommended to protect the camera

A 16gb memory card. been looking at the following two memory cards
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/MyMem...Card---Class-6
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Integ...-6?affid=47868

Batteries and chargers, although i think two packs of these batteries should be fine
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks
atsoc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I use the Uniross Hybrio batteries in my SX1 and although I have 3 sets I'm yet to use more than one in a days shooting so you should be fine with a couple of sets of Eneloops.

For the case I have the Tamrac Velocity 4, which is a little tight but does the job and I wanted to keep everything as small as possible. It seems this product is end of line so you might be able to grab a bargain. You can't go too wrong with cases as long as you have enough room for the camera and kit you want to carry; usually spare batteries, extra memory, cleaning cloth/pen and that's about it. Just pop to a local store and try a couple of cases out and see what does the trick for you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:45 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Didn't talk about memory. I personally only use SanDisk Extreme III in all my camera applications ranging from my 2 P&S cameras to my dSLRs for paid work as the quality is great as is the data transfer speed. If you are shooting HD video check that any card is going to be fast enough to do it. Not all Class 6 cards will be up to the job as 6MB/s is too low for video on the SX1 so you need to confirm a real write speed. The Extreme IIIs have a speed of up to 30MB/s so you know you are safe, the downside is the cost. I have 2 x 8Gb cards and they do me nicely. However as 8Gb is about 1.5x more expensive than the 16Gb cards you are looking at it's difficult to justify for a lot of people.

If you can confirm the card will work OK and you buy one please let me know how you get on as I would be interested to have more memory kicking around as I do a lot of video (70% the reason I bought the SX1).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Another thing to consider is a tripod for video work, if video is going to be an important part of what you want to use the SX1 for.

I started by using one of photographic tripods but for panning shots they were just not smooth enough so I switched to a video specific tripod with a fluid head and it has made a world of difference. I went for the Velbon DV-7000, it is not a perfect video tripod but the fluid head words well at keeping things smooth which is what you need. You could spendmany timesas much as this tripod/head combo on just a head and for most of us we wouldn't see a big enough difference tojustify the cost. If you do go this route it is not a light tripod, however for this sort of application weight is your friend so that's good.Amazon currently has this at a good price.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:17 AM   #5

How much video do you get out of each 8gb card.

Thanks for your replies.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:25 AM   #6
Super Moderator

About 25 mins.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:36 AM   #7

sorry one more question, what charger is it you use.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:44 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I use a Technoline BL-700 which is astunning charger tosay the least,it is notcheap but itis feature packed. I don't normally post store links but this is where Iordered from and they did a great job of getting it to me next dayalong withmybatteries.

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/techno...line-BL700.asp
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:57 AM   #9

thank you very much for all your help
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:59 AM   #10
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

Make sure you let us know how you get on and post some shots.

Steve's is not the most active forum but it certainly is one of the friendliest and a great place to learn so if you want to get the most out of your photography I can think of worse places to visit.

Happy shooting,

Mark