Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   Canon SX10 IS vs SX1IS (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon/152435-canon-sx10-vs-sx1is.html)

dzyg Feb 23, 2009 1:06 PM

I had purchased a SX10 IS which I returned as it was so slow and had (imo) a defective LCD screen. I was happy to see Canon will be releasing the SX1IS in the US as it is faster than the SX10 however now I read that with the CMOS censor the pictures are more noisey than the SX10, anyone know if that is true? I was very happy with the quality/clarity/color of the photos with the SX10, will the SX1 have pictures just as sharp? I am also waiting to see the reviews on the new Olympus SP-590UZ and the Nikon P90 which will be coming out next month. I have been happy with my Canon S2IS but want higher usable ISO's and I thought the SX10 had a usable ISO 400 which is way improved over the S2IS plus I am looking for more zoom. Switching manufacturers has me worried I won't be happy with the clarity of the photos but if the Nikon or Olympus can beat the Canon I may go that way. If money wasn't an option I would get a Canon DSLR but my budget is leaning toward one of the superzooms again. Anyone try both the SX1 and the SX10??

Thanks!!

mtclimber Feb 23, 2009 5:20 PM

dzyg-

I too am considering the SX-1. However, the price is equal to a consumer level DSLR camera and I find myself balking a bit. The Panasonic FZ-28 is ledd thn $(US) 300.00 at B&H right now it might be an option you want to look at.

It does very well at ISO 800 for low light level shots and I have been very pleased with it. Here is a photo sample from the FZ-28 taken without flash in existing light conditions.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber Feb 23, 2009 5:21 PM

Multiple Post! My apologies!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber Feb 23, 2009 5:22 PM

Multiple Post! My apologies!

Sarah Joyce

dzyg Feb 24, 2009 9:06 AM

Sarah, thanks for your response. I have used a Panasonic FZ28 for about a week, I borrowed my moms, lol! I did like it however it feels quite cheap compared to the Canon cameras. My Canon S2IS has fallen from a windowsill approx 4 ft to the floor and was totally fine after it hit. If the Panasonic did this there is no way it would be ok with all that plastic. I did take nice photos though but I still think the SX10 had sharper clearer photos however the Panasonic is MUCH faster than the SX10 which is why I am wondering about the SX1.

Thanks again!!

mtclimber Feb 24, 2009 6:20 PM

dzyg-

The SX-1 is supposed to be a good deal faster than the SX-10. The video clip capability of the SX-1 is also much better than the SX-10.

However, that speed comes at a price.

Sarah Joyce

Mysterious Feb 25, 2009 8:43 AM

holy... I saw $600 US for the SX1... that's ridiculous... maybe $500US top but that'd still be pricey

That sucks, I was hoping to buy one ... I don't think my needs/wants justify a DSLR... but that cost is just too much

Mysterious Feb 25, 2009 9:34 AM

tho it does seem like an awesome package for someone wanting a bunch of flexibility without needing to drag around multiple lenses

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...IS/index.shtml

mtclimber Feb 25, 2009 3:51 PM

My decision is to wait. This is developing technology and it will get better with time and experience. At the same price a consumer level DSLR is a very viable option.

Sarah Joyce

Poncho_48 Feb 27, 2009 1:34 PM

The $600 for the SX1 in the US is the manufactures suggested retail price right now. The camera is not being sold in the US right now. I would wait till the camera is actually released and available. I would bet the price will hit $530 at a reputable dealer after released. (I may be wrong, but we will just have to wait and see).

I bought the SX10 last September when it came out. I am pleased with it.

One feature I like on the SX1 is the Infrared Wireless Controller...

Rich