Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:06 PM   #1

I had purchased a SX10 IS which I returned as it was so slow and had (imo) a defective LCD screen. I was happy to see Canon will be releasing the SX1IS in the US as it is faster than the SX10 however now I read that with the CMOS censor the pictures are more noisey than the SX10, anyone know if that is true? I was very happy with the quality/clarity/color of the photos with the SX10, will the SX1 have pictures just as sharp? I am also waiting to see the reviews on the new Olympus SP-590UZ and the Nikon P90 which will be coming out next month. I have been happy with my Canon S2IS but want higher usable ISO's and I thought the SX10 had a usable ISO 400 which is way improved over the S2IS plus I am looking for more zoom. Switching manufacturers has me worried I won't be happy with the clarity of the photos but if the Nikon or Olympus can beat the Canon I may go that way. If money wasn't an option I would get a Canon DSLR but my budget is leaning toward one of the superzooms again. Anyone try both the SX1 and the SX10??

Thanks!!
dzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:20 PM   #2

dzyg-

I too am considering the SX-1. However, the price is equal to a consumer level DSLR camera and I find myself balking a bit. The Panasonic FZ-28 is ledd thn $(US) 300.00 at B&H right now it might be an option you want to look at.

It does very well at ISO 800 for low light level shots and I have been very pleased with it. Here is a photo sample from the FZ-28 taken without flash in existing light conditions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:21 PM   #3

Multiple Post! My apologies!

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:22 PM   #4

Multiple Post! My apologies!

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:06 AM   #5

Sarah, thanks for your response. I have used a Panasonic FZ28 for about a week, I borrowed my moms, lol! I did like it however it feels quite cheap compared to the Canon cameras. My Canon S2IS has fallen from a windowsill approx 4 ft to the floor and was totally fine after it hit. If the Panasonic did this there is no way it would be ok with all that plastic. I did take nice photos though but I still think the SX10 had sharper clearer photos however the Panasonic is MUCH faster than the SX10 which is why I am wondering about the SX1.

Thanks again!!
dzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:20 PM   #6

dzyg-

The SX-1 is supposed to be a good deal faster than the SX-10. The video clip capability of the SX-1 is also much better than the SX-10.

However, that speed comes at a price.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:43 AM   #7

holy... I saw $600 US for the SX1... that's ridiculous... maybe $500US top but that'd still be pricey

That sucks, I was hoping to buy one ... I don't think my needs/wants justify a DSLR... but that cost is just too much
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:34 AM   #8

tho it does seem like an awesome package for someone wanting a bunch of flexibility without needing to drag around multiple lenses

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...IS/index.shtml
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 3:51 PM   #9

My decision is to wait. This is developing technology and it will get better with time and experience. At the same price a consumer level DSLR is a very viable option.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:34 PM   #10

The $600 for the SX1 in the US is the manufactures suggested retail price right now. The camera is not being sold in the US right now. I would wait till the camera is actually released and available. I would bet the price will hit $530 at a reputable dealer after released. (I may be wrong, but we will just have to wait and see).

I bought the SX10 last September when it came out. I am pleased with it.

One feature I like on the SX1 is the Infrared Wireless Controller...

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote