Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:02 PM   #11

that sx10 video is pretty darn crisp/clear, impressive..... some great pics, I'm impressed... I think you might have just convinced me

Inoticed some are in black & white... does the SX10 have built-in features to take pictures in B&W???
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:44 AM   #12

There is a "B/W" mode or you can use software to make color picture B/W.

Rich

Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:09 PM   #13

Poncho_48 wrote:
Quote:
There is a "B/W" mode or you can use software to make color picture B/W.

Rich
Cool, thks for the reply
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:05 PM   #14

the sx1 is now listed at futureshop... they want $730CAN :shock:

That's ridiculous... the sx10 was $450... I could see maybe $600... but $730... then add taxes... sheesh
Old May 1, 2009, 12:11 PM   #15

Egsise wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just bought SX1, Canon DCC-800 bag, 2GB SanDisk Extreme III, 8GB Kingston SDHC class 6, NiMH batteries. SanDisk works great, Kingston is slower and if I take continuous superfine photos the buffer is full after ~10 shots and the speed drops. Full HD video and continuous fine photos are ok even with the slower Kingston memory card.
Yep that's the one.
Egsise, are you saying that's a limitation of the camera or a limitation of the memory card?

Continuous shooting 4fps for 10 shots.. still going on albeit slower is nice though for a superzoom
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 12:36 PM   #16

gaul wrote:
Quote:
Egsise wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just bought SX1, Canon DCC-800 bag, 2GB SanDisk Extreme III, 8GB Kingston SDHC class 6, NiMH batteries. SanDisk works great, Kingston is slower and if I take continuous superfine photos the buffer is full after ~10 shots and the speed drops. Full HD video and continuous fine photos are ok even with the slower Kingston memory card.
Yep that's the one.
Egsise, are you saying that's a limitation of the camera or a limitation of the memory card?

Continuous shooting 4fps for 10 shots.. still going on albeit slower is nice though for a superzoom
The 8GB Kingston class 6 SDHC is the bottleneck, not the camera.
With 2GB SanDisk Extreme III I can take hundreds superfine photos 4fps.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 7:24 PM   #17

Egsise wrote:
Quote:
gaul wrote:
Quote:
Egsise wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep that's the one.

The 8GB Kingston class 6 SDHC is the bottleneck, not the camera.
With 2GB SanDisk Extreme III I can take hundreds superfine photos 4fps.
Thanks very much for coming back with clarification Egsise.

Was hesitating between Canon SX1 and newer Sony HX1 but seems Canon SX1 still has the 2nd quickest 'continuous' shooting at 4fps amongst superzooms (after CASIO ones).

This new Sony HX1 has a 'burst' shooting of 10fps ... limited to 1 sec :?and buffering for 16-17 sec afterwards :roll:
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:33 PM   #18

Np, and as I said earlier the Kingston limits only superfine quality continuous shooting, normally I use the fine quality setting and then there are no problems shooting hundreds photos 4fps.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:52 PM   #19

I consider myself an average user and have the SX10. I'm happy with it and just used it in Yellowstone Park extensively. The long zoom is awesome and the VGA videos are excellent. I prefer the VGA to HD simply for the easy of handling and putting on DVDs.

If the SX1 had been available, I would have bought it strictly for the faster burst shooting. It would have been very handy at my grandsons Little League games.

If you are not interested in video, you might want to consider the Panasonic FZ28. It is an excellent camera, much handier than the hefty SX10. It also has many user menu options not included in the Canons.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:26 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
If you are not interested in video, you might want to consider the Panasonic FZ28. It is an excellent camera, much handier than the hefty SX10. It also has many user menu options not included in the Canons.
I would never call the SX10 hefty, now my 1D mkIII with a 300mm f2.8 is hefty LOL.

Anyway, I'm intrigued as I don't know much about the menus of the FZ28 to find out what is available there that the Canon doesn't offer.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote