Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:19 PM   #1

I've been leaning to getting a Canon as my first camera for awhile... as a novice, average user I wanted a good buy, that was a solid package that'd be a good camera for several year or more. Obviously everyone like more, than less, but given that I'm not a pro/expert and picturing taking would be for interest/pleasure, not professional production I was wonder what the majorities opinion of these 2 compared on that thought process would be.

If I understand correctly, the main difference between the 2 is...

SX10 - about $100 cheaper, slightly crisper image quality, better battery times

SX1 - RAW format, wireless controller, 3 times faster continuous shooting, full HD movies & HD output

So the questions that are important are...

RAW format.... is it that important for your average user? I'd guess not really. Most pics would be fine without it.

The faster continous shooting is really only important if you plan to shoot a lot of continous action shots

HD movies/hd outputare nice... but anyone really hd crazy probably has a camcorder.. and even no HD movies for the amount you'd take would still be very good quality

Wireless controller, nice perk... managable without it using selftimer

SX10 has slightly crisper IQ than SX1... for your novice/average user that's a big plus because most average users don't know all the tricks to adjust the IQ with thoughts of light, , flash, shadows, ISO and other settings, etc

The cost savings on the SX10 could be put towards an extra/bigger memory card, nice carrying case, or tripod

Would you guys agree with those assessments? If yes, would you agree for your average user the SX10 is a better buy "package" wise (and cheaper)? If you disagree, what feature do you see as very valuable wiorth the extra money?

Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:34 PM   #2

Since you qualify your post for "the average user," I'd say based on the reviews I've read on the SX10 (and the SX1 basically only having the RAW capability added over the SX10), I'd say it's a no-brainer to buy SX10. Hell...for that price difference, you could buy a SLEW of Kingston Class 6 8 gb cards @ $16.95 each--although even with max res on JPEG captures you wouldn't need to have a "ton" of those SDHC cards.

I don't know the SX10 necessarily has better pics than the SX1, given what I just said. They should be the same camera. Actually, I would assume the SX10 could make noticeably better pics shot with RAW, provided the user understands how to adjust the white balance to get proper color inside photoshop camera raw plugin, then when inside photoshop, uses an unsharp mask @ 80%, radius 1. HOWEVER, RAW is only a great addition if one's comfortable with manual controls and for some reason the JPEG capture on the camera doesn't seem to be as good as it should be (what DP Review says about JPEG capture on the Pentax K200D).

Anyway, seems like you already did the legwork and it seems the no-brainer to go SX10. Get the memory cards you think you'll use/need (check the probable JPEG photo storage the SX10 estimates @ full resolution and decide how many SDHC cards you need) and then you could save towards a tripod. In that respect, I recommend a Manfrotto-Bogen 055xb with a 322RC ball head. The ball head is now $104 (I bought it at $125) and the tripod body itself is now $114 I think (I bought @ $144+). The good thing about that setup is that the ball head will give you a locking feature + ability to quickly reposition--so if you get into birding shots, you'll be able to reposition just my gripping the 322rc handle and viola. The other big advantage to that is the tripod will sustain a lot of extra weight so if/when you move up to full DSLR that requires heavier lenses, you'll also be covered.

Also, be sure to use www.pricegrabber.com for the cheapest price on the SX10 but also be sure to check Amazon.com and maybe Adorama.com--they aren't listed on pricegrabber comparisons often, so check those two independently. If you have an AMEX card, you can skip buying the 'extended warranty,' as you'll get an extra free year of manufacturer warranty coverage (just keep your receipts handy).
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:55 PM   #3

I bought the SX1, possibility to 4fps continuous shooting was the thing for me.
It's so much easier to take pictures of my 7 months old son, just point-shooooooooot and pick that one picture where the grin is just right....:G

Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:21 PM   #4

fotografo35 wrote:
Quote:
Since you qualify your post for "the average user," I'd say based on the reviews I've read on the SX10 (and the SX1 basically only having the RAW capability added over the SX10), I'd say it's a no-brainer to buy SX10. Hell...for that price difference, you could buy a SLEW of Kingston Class 6 8 gb cards @ $16.95 each--although even with max res on JPEG captures you wouldn't need to have a "ton" of those SDHC cards.

Where do you find these class 6 8gb cards that cheap? I looked on futureshop, 8gb class 6 cards are like $60+

Editting msg... are these the right kind?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...p;promoid=1019

is there big benefit from class 4 to class 6? I assume maybe in continous shooting?

Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
I just bought SX1, Canon DCC-800 bag, 2GB SanDisk Extreme III, 8GB Kingston SDHC class 6, NiMH batteries. SanDisk works great, Kingston is slower and if I take continuous superfine photos the buffer is full after ~10 shots and the speed drops. Full HD video and continuous fine photos are ok even with the slower Kingston memory card.
Yep that's the one.

Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6

Mysterious wrote: Yes, that's the right kind. I assume since you list NCIX that you are in Canada? It is also available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class...146&sr=8-3

The Kingston 8 gb Class 6 cards are on par with performance of the Sandisk Extreme III Class 6 cards; I have both. I don't do continuous shooting so there's no appreciable difference in storage times between the two cards--not enough to justify paying the Sandisk Extreme III price normally. Sure...the Extreme III is the best of the two but the Kingston gives you the same storage and "in the ballpark" speed of the Extreme III.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:47 AM   #7

fotografo35 wrote:
Wait, what, my english is not that good.
Does that mean same thing what I said, about the speed?

Egsise
wrote:
Quote:
I just bought SX1, Canon DCC-800 bag, 2GB SanDisk Extreme III, 8GB Kingston SDHC class 6, NiMH batteries.

SanDisk works great, Kingston is slower and if I take continuous superfine photos the buffer is full after ~10 shots and the speed drops.
Full HD video and continuous fine photos are ok even with the slower Kingston memory card.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:00 AM   #8

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
Would you guys agree with those assessments?
I agree pretty much. I have had the SX10 since October 2008 and the SX1 was not available where I live (USA). I doubt I would buy the SX1 any time soon. I have the S2 which has been fine for three or four years.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #9

Poncho_48 wrote:
Quote:
Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
I agree pretty much. I have had the SX10 since October 2008 and the SX1 was not available where I live (USA). I doubt I would buy the SX1 any time soon. I have the S2 which has been fine for three or four years.

Rich
So you don't feel like you're missing much in terms of shooting, IQ & video ability?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:41 PM   #10

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
Poncho_48 wrote:
Quote:
Mysterious wrote:
Quote:

Rich
So you don't feel like you're missing much in terms of shooting, IQ & video ability?
I have been making "Home Movies" on and off since about 1969. I have camcorders and I use the SX10 (and the S2) also to shoot video. I shoot in Standard Definition (SD). Just have not moved up to High Definition yet. I have access to HD camcorders and I have some HD video editing for some friends.

Here is a video I did with my "Canon S2 IS": http://www.vimeo.com/1320398

Here is a video I did with my "Canon SX10 IS": http://www.vimeo.com/2366812

Here is a video I did with my Panasonic GS500 camcorder: http://www.vimeo.com/958130

I happen to enjoy digital video editing, and have been doing it about five years. I will stay with SD for a while longer before going HD.

Image Quality of the SX10 is good enough for me.

Flickr has several SX10 groups. Here is one with 400+ users and 5,000+ pictures, from various people from all over the world and various subjects. Take a look.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpowershotsx10is/pool/

My flickr group photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo.../[email protected]/

Nothing great, just enjoying myself. I did a few stints over the years as a professional photographer, had a darkroom etc (The real darkrooms).

I also like to use a "Canon A570 IS", cause it's cheap and small with decent photos.

I can't tell you what to buy. If I dropped my SX10 today and broke it, I would just try to buy another one as quickly as possible. And then see how much it would cost to repair the broken one.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote