Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:47 AM   #1

I am reposting this here as i need to know the answer quick

I have the chance to buy ONE of these cameras for taking fishing with me

and taking SELF take shots of me holding the fish i catch both day and night time i wonr Ever enlarge past A4 and that would be rare But what camera will give the best QUALITY

please G5 or A640 ???

thanks for any help Gerry
gggerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:56 PM   #2

I CANT BELIEVE IT 80 VIEWS AND NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAS AN OPINION ??

WELL THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP LADS WHAT A GREATFORUM FILLED WITH REALLY HELPFULL PEOPLE NOT !!!!!!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3

Well Mr. aaattitude,

The reason for no response is because it's a loaded question - there is no correct answer. You're asking us to compare a 6 year old camera model to a 3 year old camera model...5MP vs. 10MP...discontinued models. How many members do you think may actually own both of these cameras and could answer your question? And where do you intend to obtain a G5? Used on ebay? Then what - blame us if we say it's the better camera andit doesn't work?

And now that you have trashed this forum with your sssarcasm, I doubt that you will ever get a civil response...and that's MY opinion.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:37 AM   #4

yes I do believe in saying the way it is :-)

NO ! i did not expect to find some one that owned BOTH cameras but that was a possibility none the less

I did expect people with a darn sight more knowledge and experience to offer an opinion though,

not all sit on the fence ?

where I purchase the camera`s has bog all to do with it ?

I ALLREADY STATED I have the opportunity of buying either of the 2 cameras in question

I know one has more pixels than the other

I know one is older than the other

Both cameras are offered to me at the same pricethat is in MY budget both are perfect for self takes

What I DONT KNOW

is what makes a good lense ?

Which camera has the Better lense ? and so better camera ??

I have been told above 5mp if you are only printing photos up to 8" x 10" on a home pc printer it matters not a jot !! ???

Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:43 AM   #5

Forgot to Mention both cameras are offered to me at the same price and that is my budget the only thing i AM sure of is both these cameras are good for self takes IE swivel round screens
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6

If you had asked your question in a different way, you undoubtedly would have received numerous "opinions" from the knowledgeable and experienced photographers here. First of all, the ‘which is best' question is obscure...best for what? You obviously have already determined that you will purchase one of these two cameras - why, we don't know - you haven't shared that with us. You mention you have a budget, but you haven't shared that information with us, either. You have somehow already determined that both of these cameras are perfect for "self takes", but haven't told us how you made that determination. Now you ask which camera has a better lens...how do you expect anyone here to make that determination? There's more to digital camera image quality than just lenses...you also have to take into account sensors and processors.

If you want to make a decision as to which camera to buy, between two specific models, you could: 1) Flip a coin; 2) Ask one friend to choose for you. Wasn't that easy?

If you want some real information, so you can buy a camera that will perform best for your particular needs, you will have to cough up some additional information, and drop the attitude.

What type of fishing are you doing? Are you fishing from shore, or a boat? Are you fishing in salt or fresh water? Are you standing alongside a lake, or wading into the surf? Are you fishing from an 85' party boat or a kayak? These things matter - you may need to consider a waterproof camera, or one that will fit into a waterproof container, so it doesn't get trashed the first time out. Will the camera be mounted on a tripod, or set on top of a tree stump or boat seat for your self-portraits? Are video clips of you landing a fish important to you?

What is your budget? You might be able to buy a current model camera with a feature set that lends itself perfectly to your needs, for less money than you plan on spending on a dinosaur. Do you have size restrictions? Weight restrictions? Where you buy is important...the members of this forum steer people away from fraudulent merchants daily, saving them thousands of dollars and a lifetime of grief. What do you have to hide? Afraid we're going to tell you that you're about to make a big mistake? Wouldn't you want to know that?

I have no idea what your usage of "bog all" and "not a jot" mean. Perhaps some colloquialism? I have no idea what "self takes IE swivel round screens" means. Perhaps you'd care to explain.

Which of these two cameras is best for you? NEITHER!!!

Neither camera has a wide angle - doesn't cut it, if you expect to get yourself and a decent size fish in the frame at close range. Nor is that good for scenic landscapes on those days when the fishing isn't all that great. Neither camera has a very good telephoto - not real good for zooming in on wildlife or fellow fishermen. Both have weak flash. Both have poor low light/high ISO performance (not very good for night shots). Neither has IS, so couple that with poor high ISO performance, and you can just about forget hand-held low light pictures.

G5 - Li-Ion battery. These start to degrade from the date of manufacture...has no bearing on amount of use. This camera is nearly 6 years old...how do you spell DOA? Do you have any idea how much an OEM battery will cost you for that camera? Better be prepared to buy one (is that in your budget?). Video clips limited to a maximum of 1.5 minutes (yes, 1.5 minutes) at high resolution - when was the last time you fought and landed a fish in less than 2 minutes? ISO limited to 400 - better catch those fish on bright sunny days. 1.8" LCD - hope you have good eyesight. USB 1.0- better be prepared for long upload times. Have you checked CF card compatibility for this camera? You should.

A640 - Better battery option, but will require you to purchase a couple sets of good NiMH batteries and a good charger (notice I said good) for maximum performance. Larger LCD, but not very good resolution. USB 2.0. Sightly better low light performance. Weaker flash.

the Hun

Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:10 PM   #7

Thank you very much for your information :GWell i am in the UK and we fish freshwater lakes for Carp and catfish often ALONE so anglers here use these 2 camera`s because you can mount them on a tripod and swivel the screen around and see what your taking they are much sought after cameras for that reason the G2 -G6 cameras have a remote and swivel screen , the A640 has a self timer and swivel roundscreen you can set to say take 10 x 20sec shots so bound to get a good couple of pics :Gof course there possibly are better tools for the job but they come at a price the cameras I have mentioned can be bought privately for $250--$300 here which is about all i want to spend I know the 2 people selling these cameras they are ugrading to DSLR cameras and the price is what they have been offered if they trade them in against a new Eos 450 that costs around $1235 here

I think i am probably going to go with the A640 thanks for taking the time out to reply

best regards Gerry
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8

Update purchased the A640 nice and small and guess what i found some one comparing it to the G7

seems i definitly made the right choice scroll down for the verdict :-)

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...shot-a640.html
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:28 PM   #9

When can we expect to see some carp and catfish pics?

the Hun