Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:25 PM   #1

Is my S1IS toast?

I have a persistent purple cast that shows up in any bright areas of an image. I have messed with the white balance to no avail. The screen has a foggy cast as well when I partially depress the shutter and it is focusing. This is often purple as well. I have taken the camera back to default settings in case I had pushed some button inappropriately.

Is my camera finished? I was hoping for a longer life. I've taken over 5000 images and cost-wise compared to film I am way ahead, but I am not wishing to learn a camera every few years.

Any ideas what going wrong?
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:40 PM   #2

It would be a good idea to post a sample of the problem.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:45 PM   #3

Here is a link. Thanks for your interest!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMG_5106.jpg
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:59 AM   #4

Sorry, but I think your S1's sensor is damaged, which means your camera is toast.

The good news is that cameras have improved a lot since you bought your S1 and you can get much more camera for your money these days.

The new version of the S1, the SX10is, has 10 megapixels and 20x optical zoom and is an excellent camera in all respects, though it's a bit larger than your S1. Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon, Kodak and Olympus all make very nice SLR-like cameras similar to your S1.

As far as learning a new camera, while the new one's have more bells and whistles, their basic functions are essentially the same. I doubt if there will be much of a learning curve.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:39 AM   #5

Thank you for your response. I think it is toast as well.

I sent an email to Canon customer service with a link to the image and they are sending a prepayed shipping label for me to ship the camera to them. They claim some vender-supplied ccd issue may get it fixed for free. I know they regularly ship refurbished newer models as replacements when it costs more to fix, even for older cameras. Its worth a try, maybe I'll get an S5IS!

I would love to get the new SX10IS, but I just can't be spending money right now. It will definitely be my next camera. Maybe the tax man will be good to me this year.

I don't miss film at all, but I certainly liked the longevity of film cameras. I used the same Pentax K1000 for 30 years. I realize that digital cameras are not going to last that long, but 4 years is kind of short.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6

Just an up date on this issue with my S1 IS.

I sent an email to Canon Customer Service with the link to the same image in the post here. They sent a prepaid UPS shipping label and I shipped for repair. I shipped it on March 27. They received it and logged in the repair shop on April 2. Today, April 3 the repair is complete and the camera ready to ship to arrive in 4 business days. No charge!

Even though the camera is 4 years old, they replaced the ccd for free. Pretty good service so far.

I'll post again when the camera is in hand and I see the results of the repair.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:26 AM   #7
Administrator

Congrats. I'm glad they're repairing it for you. You're the second member I've seen recently with CCD issues related to an issue with the Sony sensors used in some of the older Canon models. See the March 30, 2009 post by W1zz:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...969540#p969540

Here's the first page in that thread, which includes the Canon models impacted:

Canon Service Advisory on CCD issues

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:04 PM   #8

A final up date on Canon repair service for sensor issues.

I shipped my camera to the Illinois repair center with their prepaid ups shipping label on March 27. I received my repaired camera via Fedex on April 7. It works great! No charge. I think they may have updated some firmware in there as well.

I am very pleased with Canon Service. This is a 4 year old camera. They could have ignored me. The service was efficient and I could track where it was in the repair process on line.

Besides really enjoying my dinosaur of a camera, Canon service has really hooked me.