Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:03 AM   #1

Reference camera for this discussion is a 2006 model, Powershot A620. I chose it after a lot of research, took it with me on many many trips overseas, and regularly suprised myself with fantastic photographic results.

Unfortunately it was stolen in 2007. I replaced it first with a A720IS which broke down, then an A590IS.

Both these are using Digic III chip as opposed to Digic II, both I think are made in China as opposed to Japan, and both have image stabilisation and face detect.

yet... neither camera ever produced a shot that I could describe as anything other than ordinary. Same photographer (me) same skil level (probably a little above average).

I remember getting the A720IS out of its box, putting batteries and card in, and wanting to try out the Face Detect took a photo of my little girl Antonia (age 6 at time). Lighting was good, her face in centre of shot, her face was deteced fine, but the immediate result wasobviously out of focus. Whats wrong with the "half press" to get the focus, then frame the shot then full press as I used before (with AF mode set to centre).

Anyway I digress, I am so disappointed in the current 590IS, that I am thinking of buying an older A620/A630/A640 variant off EBAY. Am I the only person who thinks Canon Powershots peaked with those models?

Guy
guygamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:22 AM   #2

I have an A720 is and although I don't use it much (it's like camera #4 in my lineup), it has worked flawlessly. Without seeing examples, it's hard to say what may be causing your issues.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:08 AM   #3

well I have given you one example, face detection, in fact I despite have FD and Anti Shake, I think I get more blurry photos with this camera than anything I have owned before.; Have tried the different IS modes, often frame a shot, use the FD, use the IS, and the result is blurry.

Scenery shots don't seem to have much impact, colours washed out, sky blues often white, that kind of thing.

Its hard to be specific, just a feeling i get that with the A620 i regularly surpassed my expectations, and with the 590/720 I never have come back with anything other than ordinary looking photos.

By the way, I use P mode mostly to give me a lot of control, and Aperture priority too. So i am not relying on Point and Shoot modes all the time.

G
guygamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:38 PM   #4

I was referring to actually seeing the images that you're not satisfied with. Looking at the images, being able to see the EXIF info would help members determine if it's and issue with the camera or the settings.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:49 PM   #5

I'm an average digital camera user so I can't sayif I have great photos with the A720IS but I have shot hundreds of hours of horse riding videos with it & it has performed amazingly - I was very disappointed in the quality of footage shot by a friend with a much more expensivewell rated panasonic camcorder - it's been dropped several times, used in rain, snow, wind & sun & it just keeps on going.

alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:05 PM   #6

Any thoughts? The photos just don't match the reviews I keep seeing about how sharp they should be. I have it set to IS Continuous.
Robin_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Hello Robin G. Your exif info.

Exposure Time = 1/640"
F Number = F4
ISO Speed Ratings = 80
Exif Version = Version 2.2
Date Time Original = 2009-04-18 22:21:55
Date Time Digitized = 2009-04-18 22:21:55
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 3
Shutter Speed Value = 9.31 TV
Aperture Value = 4 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F4
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, auto mode
Focal Length = 12.7mm
Maker Note = 2224 Byte
User Comment =
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2592
Exif Image Height = 1944
Focal Plane X Resolution = 11520
Focal Plane Y Resolution = 11502.959
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = inch
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio = 1x
Scene Capture Type = Normal

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:28 PM   #8

Thanks. So any ideas why the photos are not sharper than they are/ did I ge the 1 in 100 bad sensor? Most reviews comment on the photo quality of this camera. I am sorely disappointed.

Robin
Robin_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:17 PM   #9

I have a Canon A610 and have to say nothing beats it. I'd go get another A610 or A620, but expect to pay more now than you did back then, due to limited supply and price gouging.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote