Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Oh Gosh - I am so lost --- Will there be a Elph 5MP?

Greets,

I am desperately trying to choose my first digital camera, not being too keen on leaving my Canon EOS (35mm Film) behind.

I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix 5700 (sweet) and the Canon G5, but it dawned on me that a full size SLR body is simply not going to be useful on trips. This brought me to the Elph (or whatever they are calling it these days).

My problem is that Canon seems have their Elph's stuck in 4MegaPixel land. Does ANYONE know if and when they may make a 5MP Elph?

Any help is appreciated.
jdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:36 PM   #2

How big do you print? Why do you think you really need the extra 1MP?

As a user of film cameras years ago, when I switched to digital the Canon 10D fit my needs very nicely. If you have EOS mount lenses, what you have should work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:18 PM   #3

Default Well

As for the 1MP, if I am spending $300/$400/$500/$600 for a digital camera, I am not particularly insterested in the lower resolutions. Also, as I mentioned, I am more interested in film than digital, but realize I do need to make a move. I had always planned on not getting a digital camera until they had 10MP's, because that is close to film.

But aside from all that, my question, for those out there in the know, remains --- does anyone know if a 5MP Elph is contempated?
jdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:14 AM   #4

You must also know that the amount of MP is not the final answer. Having better optics should be considered if you want detail.

The question posed to you about how large do you want your prints is a valid one. 3MP will make a 8x10 print and a 5MP will make 13x19 print. I made a couple of dozen so far with my Nikon 5700 and Canon S9000 printer and they look every bit as good as a film SLR. How often will you make a 11x14 or even a 13x19 print? If you are not going to print then why the need for a 5MP? Cropping like mad could be a valid reason

A 5MP photo is 2560x1920 on your monitor. The average monitor is 17" and usually run at 1280x1024 (I have yet to see a monitor for sale that does 2500x1900 resolution at a good 85Hz+ refresh rate) Are you going to scroll side to side and up and down to view the photo? Likely you'll want to view the picture as a whole and resize it to fit you screen anyway.

It is up to you and I'm sure a 5MP Elph will come along...keep checking here at Steve's for his Breaking News
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:27 AM   #5

Just to add to Koruvs's comments, "crop like mad" is exactly what I do. So I wouldn't want to step down in resolution from the 6MP of the 10D. But I also make very few prints. I have a Pro friend who points out that every picture in his office is not croped. This allows him to make the largest enlargements possible (without adding data with interpolation.)

So if your standards are that high (very possible) than having tons of MP is very important. If you never will print beyond 8x6, then it isn't as important because you can do that with < 5MP (if you don't crop a lot.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 7:09 PM   #6

Through an engineering standpoint, unless they come out with a brand spanking new super compact 5MP CCD, you're not going to see a 5MP elph anytime soon. There's a reason why it's stuck at 4MP. Primary reason is that the CCD is just too damn big, and it's a point and shoot camera and those types of users don't need huge MP counts. Second reason is that this is a average user camera, not a professional one, the CCD's used on these cameras are sub-quality so if somehow they were able to cram that 5MP CCD in there, there would be quality control issues and people just wouldn't buy them, or the ones that do will get mad because they have a ton of dead pixels and other artifacts.

Another thing is that, the higher the MP, the more apparent the defects in the lens. Canon doesn't want you to see the defects in their lenses, thats why they matche their lenses to their CCD's a certain way. If you have a gobsmacking lens system, you'll want a gobsmacking CCD MP count to make use of the lense, otherwise, why create your own bottleneck?

I think the Minolta Dimage G500 is about as small a 5MP camera you can get, take a look at it, it's a pretty solid feeling camera. It is a bit bigger than an elph, but it's not quite as big as a Canon S50.

-Lemur 6
13mur 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:24 PM   #7

The g500 is a terrific pocket choice for anyone, as the camera of record for a casual user or as an extra take-along for a pro. Check reviews for specs and detailed criticism, but also note that it's hovering just above $300 these days, a killer price on a new model 5mp. Hard to beat - and hard to leave at home - by the way, only fractionally larger than an elf, about 1/8" in any direction.
Tom Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote