Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 23, 2009, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
Isn't comparing any P&S to even a low-end DSLR pretty much pointless? I see the mention of noise... but most reviewers, like steves and cameralabs, list the IQ of the SX1, SX10, FZ28, etc, very good for most shots up to about ISO 400/800...

is it reasonable to expect anything but a DSLR to produce good IQ over iso800? and even then it'd need to be a high-end DSLR wouldn't it? and then you'd need multiple lenses to cover even part of the range these super-zooms cover...

I understand the superzoom vs dslr comparison if IQ is the only or biggest factor and you are a PRO or a real photo-buff.... but other than that, most arguments are moot aren't they?

I think you can only really compare super-zooms to super-zooms if you are comparing anything but strictly IQ ...

I'm a newbie, but that seems tp be what I've found in trying to decide
Yes so i will learn with this camera then the next step is Eos 5D mark II
LightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 6:07 PM   #12

Default Bird in flight against sun

I just have to say this photo touched me. Pro/con of noise etc./DSLR vs P&S aside, it touched me. Keep up the good work and nothing beats practice and capturing 'the moment'. Thanks for sharing.

M

p.s. If the shot permits, I'd at least get an 8x10 print made and hang it somewhere to give you inspiration.

p.p.s. You are lucky to be able to shoot in a famous place such as the Gaza Strip. I'm shooting in Alabama (USA) and sometimes in Florida.

Again, good job.
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:39 AM   #13

Outstanding photos, I can't wait until my SX10 arrives!
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:00 AM   #14

Just sent my SX1is back due to terrible noise at anything above 100iso got a Fuji S100fs and its perfect! shame as the SX1is is a nice camera with great features
JethroTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Hi JethroTull and welcome to Steve's.

I wouldn't say terrible in relation to it's peers where it is above average but compared to something like the S100fs which has a much larger sensor then yes there is a lot of noise.

I have cameras going up to the 5D mkII and they all have varying noise performance so I am used to getting very clean images when working with the higher end cameras however I'm still happy to take the SX1 with me where I want HD video and good photos without the size.

We all have to compromise in certain areas as there is not a perfect camera (which is a shame) but the SX1 makes a good compromise in some areas, the S100fs in others and a selection of dSLR kit in others. The important thing is to be happy with what you are shooting with as if you are not it will never get used so it sound like getting the Fuji is the right move.

Do check out the Fuji section as well as our photo areas and get stuck into Steve's.

Happy shooting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi JethroTull and welcome to Steve's.

I wouldn't say terrible in relation to it's peers where it is above average but compared to something like the S100fs which has a much larger sensor then yes there is a lot of noise.

I have cameras going up to the 5D mkII and they all have varying noise performance so I am used to getting very clean images when working with the higher end cameras however I'm still happy to take the SX1 with me where I want HD video and good photos without the size.

We all have to compromise in certain areas as there is not a perfect camera (which is a shame) but the SX1 makes a good compromise in some areas, the S100fs in others and a selection of dSLR kit in others. The important thing is to be happy with what you are shooting with as if you are not it will never get used so it sound like getting the Fuji is the right move.

Do check out the Fuji section as well as our photo areas and get stuck into Steve's.

Happy shooting.
Hi Mark,
Yes I understand what your saying regarding IQ like i said the SX1 is a nice camera just didn't live upto my expectations LoL
I have a 1dmk2 with lots of L lenses so think i've been spoilt over the years with the canon quality. I'm very happy with the Fuji S100fs and its ideal addition to my kit bag. This is a great website and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to read! and best of all its very easy to find info and very well set out!
Cheers
JethroTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroTull View Post
Hi Mark,
Yes I understand what your saying regarding IQ like i said the SX1 is a nice camera just didn't live upto my expectations LoL
I have a 1dmk2 with lots of L lenses so think i've been spoilt over the years with the canon quality. I'm very happy with the Fuji S100fs and its ideal addition to my kit bag. This is a great website and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to read! and best of all its very easy to find info and very well set out!
Cheers
I know what you mean about expectations and I do have to remind myself that it is my compromise camera for convenience and video where it is good but I do like the clean looking results of the S100. You will have to pop some photos up for us to see.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote