Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 31, 2009, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Aspect Ratio on Canon SX1 and SX10

Can an owner(s) of the Canon SX1 and SX10 confirm for me if either of these cameras offer a 3:2 aspect ratio option for still images? I have the impression that one's choices are 4:3 and 16:9 only. It would seem odd to me that a camera this expensive and sophisticated wouldn't offer a 3:2 option - particularly the SX1. Some less-expensive point-and-shoot superzooms do - but maybe the Canons do as well. I just haven't found any such thing on any specifications list.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:47 PM   #2

I have an SX10 and I see no 3:2 option.
You have choices of Large, Med 1, Med 2, Med 3, and Small (all 4:3) and Wide (16:9).
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:46 PM   #3

Okay, I appreciate your checking. A bit disappointing but not necessarily a deal-breaker. Thanks again.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It is only 16:9 or 4:3, as I mainly use my SX1 for video I usually leave it in 16:9 which works fine as I'm not usually printing if I do take a photo.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:09 AM   #5

The SX10 IS allows you to put a 3:2 overlay on the LCD that lets you frame properly if you are going to print in 6x4. The pictures are still 4:3 though.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It is only 16:9 or 4:3, as I mainly use my SX1 for video I usually leave it in 16:9 which works fine as I'm not usually printing if I do take a photo.
Interesting to see someone on a forum that actually admits they use their super zoom primarily for video!

I'm considering either the Pany FZ35, the Canon SX20 or the Canon SX1 as an upgrade to my SX10. It will be used primarily at kids baseball games and trips to Yellowstone Park where zoom and burst mode are valued and video is a must, getting as much of a work out as the stills.

Does the SX1 video have the problems some say it does, due to the CMOS sensor?,......something about a rolling effect?

The SX1 burst feature is drawing me toward the camera but I need some assurances that the videos are at least as good as my SX10.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Does the SX1 video have the problems some say it does, due to the CMOS sensor?,......something about a rolling effect?

The SX1 burst feature is drawing me toward the camera but I need some assurances that the videos are at least as good as my SX10.
The video is better than the SX10 in resolution and aspect, however CMOS over CCD does give the jelly wobble. I would look at the SX20, yes still not getting the burst but you get 1280-720 video and still no jelly wobble as it is CCD.

With baseball, burst still isn't great as it isn't fast enough even on the SX1, it is more about timing.

Also with using it primarily for simple videos, this is due to having 5 Canon dSLRs with the 5D mkII and 1D mkIII among them so something along those lines will often be the choice.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote