Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:34 AM   #21

How do I meter?

I did not look at the exif data yet. That picture is stored on my other PC which is currently in another location. We are in the midst of moving to our new house. I can check it out tonight though.
Stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
How do I meter?
Bring up the menu and go to Meter Mode, select Spot. There is a sub-menu so select center if not already selected. To see the data on your LCD/EVF go into the menu and select Custom Display, select Shooting Info. You can also select Histogram and Grid Lines if either of those functions interest you. To use point the camera at the subject and half press the shutter.

This costs you extra as I had download the manual.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:34 PM   #23

Here is the pad shot's exif data:

Keep in mind that shot was taken in April so things may be brighter and muggier this time.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:32 PM   #24

That is 2/3d stop more exposure than the values given by your friend. By the way my experience is that humid is not as bright as dry. In your lighthouse photo (I also want the name/location of that lighthouse) the S3's data was F/4 @ 1/800 while the SX10 was f/5.7 @ 1/160. That is why I think you should meter a few minutes prior to launch. Actually all shots prior to launch can probably with Av using the apertures I've provided (move to higher ISO only if the shutter speed falls below 1/250. You only need to switch to manual just prior to engine firing to avoid having engine flame from making the rest of the scene black.

A. C.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:59 AM   #25

The lighthouse:
http://www.longbeachisland.com/history.html

I was playing around with the camera last night and I cannot seem to find the menu you are referring to about metering. I'll have to download the manual and see what I can find. When I do get the menu up, what should I be looking for?

Also, are there any settings in the camera I should disable that might hinder my ability to take rapid photos (red eye, AF assistance, etc)?

Last edited by Stryker412; Jun 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
...I was playing around with the camera last night and I cannot seem to find the menu you are referring to about metering. I'll have to download the manual and see what I can find. When I do get the menu up, what should I be looking for?

Also, are there any settings in the camera I should disable that might hinder my ability to take rapid photos (red eye, AF assistance, etc)?
Thanks for the lighthouse info. There are no bad lighthouse photos only nice and better .

I'll attach the appropriate manual pages in this post and the next. The SX10 is an extremely versatile camera with a multitude of options. That the manual is 262 pages reflects the multitude of options. I'd certainly want to download and study the manual before a lifetime optortunity like yours.

Other than the options I've already identified I'd shut off the automatic review that shows a just taken photo for 2 sec. (it's a more obnoxious 5 sec. on my Z612). Many point out that you can still take a picture while the review is being displayed but IMO it's very hard to frame the shot while the review is on. I've include that manual page as well.

A. C.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac.smith; Jun 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #27

Manual continued.
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:39 PM   #28

Yes that's my fear. There are so many settings that I do not want to miss something by trying to change anything at the last minute. My goal is to have the camera preset for Av and M modes before I leave.

Manual Mode:
ISO 100, f5.6, 1/500

Av:
ISO 80, f5.6, 0 stop

Last edited by Stryker412; Jun 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:43 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Unfortunately it's impossible to have them set before you well.... well not impossible, you can set them but very likely they will not be right. Av will be OK as the camera will sort shutter, but M could be well out.

You will need to set them on site when you are on site, but I'm guessing you will have plenty of time to sort it all out prior to launch as I doubt you will just turn up five minutes before. I think you are getting too worried about all the information that is being thrown at you and it is not as bad as you think.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Unfortunately it's impossible to have them set before you well.... well not impossible, you can set them but very likely they will not be right. Av will be OK as the camera will sort shutter, but M could be well out.

You will need to set them on site when you are on site, but I'm guessing you will have plenty of time to sort it all out prior to launch as I doubt you will just turn up five minutes before. I think you are getting too worried about all the information that is being thrown at you and it is not as bad as you think.
I absolutely agree. That's why I've been advocating setting up his metering for spot so that he can evaluate before hand. The pre information is simply to have a method to evaluate the information the camera provides. If the day looks normal and the values measured are close to the predicted I'd use trust the camera values. If day doesn't look normal then I'd go with the camera values unless the OP is real good at the "rule of 16". If the OP is shooting tomorrow's launch at 7:17am EDT, statistically at least, he will require a bit more exposure than the AUG 7, 8:49am EDT launch.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Jun 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM.