Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Upgrading my S3 IS

I'm looking to upgrade my S3 IS to possibly the SX10. I love my S3 but would like the higher optical zoom. I plan to see the shuttle launch next weekend and would like to not have to lug any lenses or add ons with me if possible.

If I don't plan to do much video is the SX1 really worth the extra money?
Stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

There are advantages and disadvantages to the SX10 over the S3. The major disadvantage is the lens, it is not as bright as the S3, especially at the long end, in fact we are talking over a stop of light which is quite major. Obviously you are getting a longer lens as well as wider which is nice and extra resolution which can be helpful. So you have a mixed bag really, I think Canon shot themselves in the foot a little with the lens quality but still the SX10 is a nice camera. I have an SX1 as I shoot quite a bit of video, of you though there is no real reason that I would go for it. Yes the 4fps (I think it is 4) can be nice, but even with the shuttle the SX10 should be plenty fast enough.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:42 PM   #3

I had the S3 IS and the SX10 which i sold both now, i agree with Mark though but also the S3 IS has better IQ than the SX10 or the SX1.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:29 PM   #4

So is it worth it than to upgrade or should I just wait longer? I was looking at the XSi but after thinking about it, I think I'll stay in the point and shoot line. I was originally thinking of just buying the telephoto lens for the S3, but then thought if I'm spending the $100 on a lens I might as well just upgrade the camera. However, if the SX10 is not that good of an upgrade over the S3 I am not so sure I should.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:30 AM   #5

Image quality comprises a number of factors including resolution, dynamic range, noise color rendition, color balance and other less quantifiable factors. I will address only one factor, resolution.

Caveat. I am not a Canon user but I am absolutely not a Canon antagonist either.

I am in process of doing a number of analysis comparing the performance of Kodak Z*12/980 cameras with each other and with their contemporaries using the sample photos included with Steve's reviews of these cameras. I have compared the ISO 400/800 performance of a number camera and posted these evalutations in the Kodak forum. I have evaluated photos from more cameras than I've posted specific results. I am in process of doing the same evaluation for the daylight sample photos. I am not ready to post the results (and they will be posted in the Kodak forum) but I can offer some preliminary comments.

The priliminary results are that virtually all the 9-12MP super-zoom P&S cameras render fine better the the 6MP cameras in daylight conditions. This specifically includes both the SX1 and SX10. I will leave evaluation of color rendition/color balance to the posters above with actual SX experience.

I have done a limited evaluation of the performance of auxilary telephoto lenses (TCONs in common parlance although that's something of a misnomer) attached to super-zoom cameras. Attaching a TCON will degraded camera/lens performance. In general it will be hard to distinguish the results of a 1.4x-1.7x TCON and 1.4x-1.7x digital zoom. Whether the results will be useable depends on individual needs and criteria.

To your specific objective of taking shuttle launch the SX10 will be more capable of rendering fine detail better than an S3 with or without an aux lens. Whether the difference is worth the cost will have to be your judgment.

A final consideration is the variabilities created by atmospherics when attempting long distance (measured in miles). Five miles of air can often render differences in camera/lens systems moot.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:35 AM   #6

Thank you AC, that was very informative. The camera is coming tomorrow from B&H and I have 15 days to check it out.

Luckily I live near the water and there is a lighthouse that is almost exactly the distance I will be from the shuttle. I took some test shots with my stock S3. I will take the same shots with the SX10 for comparison when I get it.

Fully zoomed out:

Fully zoomed in:
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:37 PM   #7

Got my SX10 today but unfortunately the weather is very poor today. AC, question for you do you think the Z980 is better than the SX10?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
Got my SX10 today but unfortunately the weather is very poor today. AC, question for you do you think the Z980 is better than the SX10?
In outdoors daylight conditions I think they are virtually equal. Another way to say that is that if one placed a stack of 8x10 prints in front of a panel of enthusiasts or even a panel composed of equal numbers of Z980 and SX10 owners the panel could not do a reliable job of discerning which camera made which photo. I also doubt that one could tell the difference in ordinary flash photos taken in an ordinary living room. Take pictures in that same room illuminated with ordinary table lights so that you have to crank the ISO up to 400 or 800 and everyone will see a clear difference and it will be in favor of the SX10. Change the camera to an SX1 and the difference between the Kodak and the Canon disappears. IMO

A. C.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:30 AM   #9

The light house is 4.5 miles according to MS Maps.

S3 (max zoom):
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8721/test003.jpg

SX10 (max zoom):
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2344/sx10006.jpg

Granted the day I took the picture with the SX10 it was much more humid, but to my eyes I'm not sure I see that much of a difference that it would warrant me keeping the SX10. I can get the telephoto extender for the S3 in 1-2 days so I'm debating what I should do. Any suggestions?

This will probably be the only time I will see the shuttle launch so I'm trying to get the best I can out of it without breaking the bank.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:04 PM   #10

I'll take a critical look at your photos tonight (better facilities.) In the meantime you might want to read the thread below. I have S-K 1.4x (Kodak) comparisons there.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ko...-dx7590-2.html

A. C.