Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 4, 2003, 4:11 AM   #1

Default Canon G5 vs. A80

Hi, I'm not too sure if this msg should be posted here or in the newbies section, I recently received a canon g5 as a gift from my parents and I have a few questions about this camera compared to the A80, (kinda stupid question) but what's the difference between the two cameras, g5 has the 4x zoom and the a80 has a 3x zoom, one is 4 MP and one is 5MP, those were the difference I noticed right off the specifications, they both have the hotshoe for the flash, aperature and shutter priority, but the a80 is almost 1/2 the cost as the G5, it seems like the reviews I've seen on the net for the A80 seems to be quite an good camera already,

I am wondering about the image quality difference between the 2 cameras? or is the 4to 5 MP and the 3to4x zoom is mainly where the cost difference is?

I'm a beginner the other digital camera i own is the nikon coolpix 885 and i owned a kodak dc215 before, i can write a huge list of cons of these 2 cameras but just curious about the g5 vs the a80

thank-you in advance for the replies
goiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:18 PM   #2

The a80 doesnt have a hotshoe. Or the one that I have is missing it

I'd say stick with the G5
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:56 PM   #3

That's one of the best gifts I ever heard of!

Did they choose it without your help?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:55 AM   #4

Oh, thought the a80 had a hot shoe also, just reading some reviews on the g5, i had an uncle also totally into photography and digi cams and he was showing me all these articles on the g5,

my dad went on a trip to hk, so he wanted to buy a camera for my mom but ended up getting a g5 due to the magazine and reviews he's been hearing about and his friend owned a shop so got a slightly better deal (nothing crazy like 50% etc etc..)
sorry for the boring story, then my dad asked me to trade my nikon 885 for the g5 cause he wanted something smaller and i guess simpler for my mom, anyways i have a g5 now, pretty shocked about the gift etc etc, but i guess the negative is it's a bit bigger than my 885, so i can't carry it snowboarding as easily, not too sure that my g5 can stay in my jacket pocket or i'd be comfortable about it, due to the bigger size etc etc...

took a bunch of whistler pix using my 885 pretty decent results last season but the 885 did have quite a big list of 'areas of concern' about this camera; but the size is definently an advantage, although i was considering upgrading my nikon 885 to a pentax 550k though,

i guess my main concern is why is the a80 costs so much less than the g5....

been playing around with this camera pretty happy so far, although i am just a beginner, i basically take pix of everything and everyone = ) (although i do a lot of deleting....) still pix i take in auto mode is a lot better than me playing around with the aperature and shutter priority
not even too sure where to start, looked throguh a bunch of websites, i acutally purchased the book ' a short course in,.... ' hasn't came in yet but i hope that book has some good tips and advices

anyways, i think i wrote too much, my net is down = ( have to use phoneline for now, i love tech support, another 48 hours before i can call them back

raymond
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:09 AM   #5

No Raymond, you didn't write too much. It's nice to hear the background instead of just, "I got a G5."

I'm a snow rider too, and I usually keep my camera on my person throughout my day on the mountain. Now that I have the G5 I'm a bit concerned about doing this, since I did fall a couple times on my old Agfa 1280 (which survived like a trooper by the way). I'm thinking this year I'll keep my camera back around my shoulder and see what happens. But still, I'm a little apprehensive.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 5:52 AM   #6

Hey Joshua, thx for the reply,

I'm not too sure r u using a g5 also?
I'm having some problems customizing my camera like the start up picture and sounds when i load up the program to upload the pix/sound settings it won't connect to my camera saying it doesn't support this function? is this option only for other canon cameras and not the g5?

or is anyone familar with this? using the remote software i can connect to my camera and take pix, i've also upgraded the firmware from 1.0 to 2.0? any suggestions?

this winter is supposed to be a good winter from what i've read, can't wait until the snow comes,

r u familar with the www2.photosig.com website, oh man there's some crazy photos there, seems like everyone knows what they're doing there, got to learn some better photo taking techniques =)

thx
Raymond