Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Canon G5

Greets,

OK - So I will not go for the 4MP Elph, and the Nikon Coolpix 5700, while looking totally awesome, is simply too large. It looks from the pictures that the G5 is somewhere in between size wise, so it may be the camera for me.

Here's my question --- anyone know if the G5 is going to be replaced soon? I have SO many purchases which have been followed immediately by a new model (I mean immediately, not 'over time' which is to be expected), and really dont want to be burned here.

Does anyone *know* if Canon has a G6 coming out?

Thanks
jdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2003, 12:16 PM   #2

Default reply

I recently purchased a G5 and I am very pleased.Great display layout on the lcd. As far a new one coming out, there will always be a new and better product out in future times. That is technology for ya. I don't base my purchases totally on if a new one is coming out, what is there now and what I can afford. If a new one was coming out in a month or so for sure, than I may wait, but nothing has been officially announced that I know of. The Coolpix 5700 is agreat one, it has been out over a year and still going strong. I think you would be happy with a G5.
giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:09 PM   #3

Didnt the G5 like just come out?

It hasnt been on the market all that long, I dont think canon will be replacing it anytime this year. I'd say not till late next year if they are.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:36 AM   #4

Default Thanks ... question for each of you

Gimli - yes, but if you look at the dates between the G4 (December) and G5 (the next July), I am a little afraid of a December G6.

Giro - how big is this camera? I assume its somewhere between the Elph and an SLR, but what do you need to carry it around. My only reason for NOT getting a 5700 is that I do not want to tote around my full size camera bag with it.

THANKS!
jdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:16 PM   #5

I think in size comparisons the G5 is actually larger than the Nikon?
emotionengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Gimli - yes, but if you look at the dates between the G4 (December) and G5 (the next July), I am a little afraid of a December G6.
I here you on this one. I'm planning on getting a G5 once I get back my tax money this coming Feb.
I've got my gf conned into the G5 so far, and I don't wanna have to explain a new camera again:P
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:47 PM   #7

I don't think anyone know for sure what Canon will do next - the digital Rebel was a big surprise for most of us. Personally I can't see Canon coming out with a replacement for the G5 anytime soon. The Rebel is the natural camera that's one level up and short of a 6MP sensor what's to add?

About the only Canon doesn't have is a point and shoot with a 8-10X zoom.

As far as size goes - I have a G2 (about the same size) and it's not too big. I carry it in a lowe nova micro and still have room for an external flash. It isn't a shirt pocket size camera but it isn't like a full size SLR.

Canon sizes their cameras from Elph (small), A series, S series (compact but most features), G (largest but with swivel screen). The Nikon is a bit bulkier, the G5 is more flat but may be a bit wider.

If you want a small bag consider getting the leather case - mine looks quite nice and it is pretty small.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:56 PM   #8

As far as size goes, I think the size of the G2 (which I have) is just about right. IMHO a camera needs a little heft to feel comfortable in my hands. The feel and balance are very good in that respect.

Tom
tnj4uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:24 PM   #9

I think we should all expect new camera introduction about every 6 months, so when is the right time to buy? Anytime. We can always sell our 'old' models on eBay. (^J^)

I want a Canon dSLR with a swivel lens. Think Canon will accommodate me if I ask nicely. Maybe if we ALL ask ....
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote