Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:35 PM   #1

Default SX10 has very blurry optical viewer?

I went to Bestbuy today to check out & possibly buy the Canon SX10 IS. I checked out the demo & I was very disappointed in the optical viewer. Everything looked soooooo very blurry, I don't see how anyone could possibly see the subject well enough to know when to take the picture.I talked to 2 different sales clerks,who didn't seem to know much about cameras & couldn't give me a good explanation for the blurry viewer,so I moved on to the Nikon P90,my 2nd choice. The optical viewer on it was better than the SX10,but still left me feeling like I needed to have my eyes examined. Can someone shed some light on this problem with Canons optical viewer? I left Bestbuy with no camera. I have read the review on this camera & I don't remember reading about an optical viewer that was so blurry it was useless.Now I'm back to square one & still searching for a new camera.
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's.

I think that most likely the dioptric adjuster has been played around with meaning that it is not right for your eyes.

Here is the part from Steve's review that show the adjuster so if you go and see it again you can make an adjustment so it is right for you.

You can frame your pictures with the color LCD or the high-quality EVF (Electronic ViewFinder). This viewfinder is a tiny 0.44-inch LCD in a magnified eyepiece. Like the LCD on the back of the camera, this display offers 100% frame coverage as well as Dioptric adjustment (-6.0 to +2.0 m-1). On the left and right of the EVF is the Print/Share button and the Movie mode Record button.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Welcome to Steve's.

I think that most likely the dioptric adjuster has been played around with meaning that it is not right for your eyes.

Here is the part from Steve's review that show the adjuster so if you go and see it again you can make an adjustment so it is right for you.

You can frame your pictures with the color LCD or the high-quality EVF (Electronic ViewFinder). This viewfinder is a tiny 0.44-inch LCD in a magnified eyepiece. Like the LCD on the back of the camera, this display offers 100% frame coverage as well as Dioptric adjustment (-6.0 to +2.0 m-1). On the left and right of the EVF is the Print/Share button and the Movie mode Record button.
Thanks for the welcome,Mark. I asked the 2nd clerk if the blurr could be adjusted out & he did fiddle with a button on it,then called it stupid & put the camera back on it's display. I used to have a camcorder that had the adjustable viewfinder & would be blurry if not adjusted right. That was my reason for asking the clerk. I will go back on another day & hopefully someone else more knowledgable will be working,if not I'll see if I can check out the adjustment myself. Thanks for the info
sueg is offline   Reply With Quote