Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:26 AM   #1

Default G10 Waterproof?

I read recently in a slightly dodgy gadgets magazine that the G10 is waterproof to 10m. I'd not heard of this before, nor can I find a reference to it in any forums/reviews [but then I may well have missed it]. Being in the market for a waterproof camera for mountaineering use, a waterproof G10 would be a great product.
Anyone any knowledge of this matter?
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:30 AM   #2
Administrator

No. It is not Waterproof. But, you can get a Waterproof Housing for it (Canon WP-DC28). It's around $169 now:

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...-dc28/st=query
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:04 AM   #3

I think the OP may have got his letters mixed up and may have been referring to the "Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD". Yes the D10 is "waterproof" to 33 feet (roughly 10 meters). Check out Amazon's in stock at US$324 listing or read about it at Canon's site: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18332
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes.. I think you're probably right. There's a review here for it.

Click on the image to see Steve's Canon PowerShot D10 Review

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:34 AM   #5

What greatly disappointed me about it was the lack of HD video, as Steve's review notes, which is so widespread on P&S cameras nowadays. I kinda think Canon dropped the ball a bit on this offering.

Personally, I had been considering the D10 for vacation use, but decided to wait until something similar is released with at least 720p (I would prefer 1080p) capablities. While it is ideal for snorkeling and pool use, it would not work for the depths SCUBA diving often goes to — but its small(ish) size and relative rugged construction make it ideal for having with you on most any "wet" vacations.

We still use our old film-based Nikonos system and a couple of older P&S Sony cameras with underwater housings ... but they are so bulky for holiday fun!

Last edited by hgernhardtjr; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:28 AM   #6

Nah, been back and checked the review in the original magazine and they seem to have screwed up: big glossy picture of the G10, text refers to G10, pricing info relates to the D10. Could confuse a simple person, but thanks for the help.
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote