Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:24 AM   #1

Default How to get video from Sanyo to play on a Canon SD?

How can I get my SD880 IS to recognize movies from my Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG6 that I copy to the memory card?

The *photos* transferred easily from my Sanyo to the Canon, thanks to EXIF. After putting the memory card from my Sanyo into the Canon, all the images showed up on the display automatically without requiring any kind of change. The videos are another matter, they don't show up at all. I tried exporting a Sanyo movie to .MOV format using H.264 (which is what Get Info in QuickTime Player shows as the format for a Canon-shot video), using the same filename convention that Canon uses (e.g., MVI_0045.MOV), and copying an existing .THM file from a Canon movie, renaming it to match the exported movie (i.e., MVI_0045.THM), but no luck. What I see on the camera in Playback Mode is the .THM image and the words "Unidentified image".

There's got to be some way to get the Canon to recognize the movie files....
MichaelBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:37 PM   #2

YOU CAN'T! It's like asking notepad to show an image of a jpeg!

The reality is every vendor encodes video precisely in its own terms. No one camera is able to read all mov types (yes there are tones of codecs for mov). Even if you get the correct codec for the container, you still worry about headers and also timestamps.

you can damage your camera! Do not do this. When your camera reads a mov file, it accesses the information. If it crashes, it gets stuck in a cycle of accessing with no way of coming off it. Your chip will super heat and die. THen you loose your camera.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3

Oh please. If the camera can create a certain format, I can do the same thing, provided I can find the right format and the right tools. As for killing my camera, unless you have any actual evidence to back up your fantastic claim (which sounds suspiciously like it was pulled out of thin air), I'll assume that my camera will do what every camera does when it can't recognize a file -- nothing. (Either show a ? icon, or else skip it entirely.)
MichaelBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:13 AM   #4

You could be right about the camera heating issue but who knows right? Only your expirience will tell.

Here! Let me get you started on the correct path to your camera's destruction!

Download http://en.utilidades-utiles.com/download-mediainfo.html

This is a software I use in linux to determine what type of codecs my container uses. Use this to help determine what you have. There are plenty but if you right click and go into properties on that specific file, this will tell you the codec your .mov uses too. There are hundreds of combinations so go get a pillow and sit on it for a long time cuz you will spend weeks figuring out whats going on.

I'll put my 15 years plus of experience to the side for your lousy response! I will guarantee nobody here will help. ASK ANYBODY IN THE SANYO SECTION AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING! YOU CAN"T!! Even using the sanyo mp4 file and transcoding direct copy to the same container and filename, sanyo will not play the file at all or lockup sometimes. Same goes with canon! These file have proprietary code nobody wants to pay for so you usually need to transcode.

Give it a whirl and then post a success story. It could work or it won't work. Do this. re-encode a sanyo file with the same codec and same container and see if it will play on that sanyo camera. If it does not, you will know by then and then you ask me if it's still possible. Also, Canon's specific firmware will only use the embedded "proprietary" code to decode something you used to encode a codec into a container for a "proprietary" system. THis is just too funny!

What I would do is call canon and ask them! Ask them if the codec they use is standard accross open source projects for transcoding compatibility or if it is proprietary code to where no source is available or codec available to reproduce the file?! We tried this in sanyo forums. We tried encoding editing video in vegas or opensource software back with same codec type and aac in mp4 file. Dumped that file back into sanyo and it failed, locked up, heated (could be of just regular use). We agreed that editing the mp4 file alone is done best in camera unless you intend not to play it back on the camera edited with effects, etc. People wanted to use the files edited to play back on the camera like a tape player but with edited footage off a hardisk or sd card but it is simply not possible without knowing how the proprietary firmware uses the codec to encode a final file.

You can't say I'm not helping and I'm amazed I replied to your lousy response.

1. learn what codecs run in your file
2. encode and replicate decoding in the same camera as a test
3. try encoding to the other camera file spec
4. post a success story!!

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBluejay View Post
Oh please. If the camera can create a certain format, I can do the same thing, provided I can find the right format and the right tools. As for killing my camera, unless you have any actual evidence to back up your fantastic claim (which sounds suspiciously like it was pulled out of thin air), I'll assume that my camera will do what every camera does when it can't recognize a file -- nothing. (Either show a ? icon, or else skip it entirely.)

do me a favor and use divx3 in a file on window xpsp2 with explorer. Let me know how your cpu feels.