Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2003, 1:28 PM   #1

Default Thoughts on the A70

I am thinking of asking for the Canon A70 for Christmas and just wanted to find out your thoughts on it. Is it a good basic camera with no real downfalls? I will be basically using to photograph my children and also sporting activites.
thanks for any help
valerie s
valerieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:40 PM   #2

I chose the A80 over the A70 because I thought the increased benefit of the extra megapixel, the slightly larger 3/4 metal body and the swivel LCD (takes a second or two get it into position but less likely to get scratched as it goes in and out of your case) and redesigned play/record switch (the one on the A70 has been known to get stuck) were worthwhile benefits for me. Whether or not they are of any benefit to you is a question I cannot answer. Not my favorite review site but in case you missed it: http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...on_a80-02.html mentions the authorís opinion of the A80 to the A70 and A60. Not an in depth article but at least it is a comparison of sorts.
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 9:56 PM   #3

There are defanatlly some advantages to the a80 over the a70. Personally I like that it has a larger sensor which gives lower noise performance at higher iso settings. It's a bit more expensive though. If the a70 is what is in your price range, it is a very nice and capable camera for the money. It's easy to use yet has advanced capabilities and offers a lot af features for the money.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:21 AM   #4

I've been using the A70 for a month by now, am pretty happy with it, and have noticed no downfalls. If you don't need the A70's manual controls, you might also check into Casio EX-S3, one of the smallest fastest (which might come handy in photographing sports) cameras with feature to generate html-albums (it has no zoom though, EX-Z3 has zoom but is not that small and fast - these things usually contradict each other), and the Kodak family (ex. Kodak CX6330) with its printer doc - great tool if you want instant results.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:08 AM   #5
Fly

Hi,

I've got the A70 for 6 months, and I'm quite happy with it.

It IS a good basic camera with no real downfalls - but today I'd spend a little more, and choose the A80 (if the G3 or G5 is still to expensive).

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a80.html

(they mention of course the A70)
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:28 PM   #6

Default thanks

Thanks for the info on the A70. I have been reading a lot of problems with the A70 so I think if I get a Canon it will be the A80 although I am not sure I want to spend too much on my first digital camera when I am not sure if I will like it more then my regular camera although that is nothing special.
valerieS
valerieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:20 PM   #7

I tried an A70 last week before making my mind up to change it for the A80. I thought the A70 was a nice camera. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:48 AM   #8

I have the a80 and now over 1100 shots and just love it.Its even better than my nikon 4300. I tried the a70 but went for the a80 iam glad i did.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:39 AM   #9

I've had my A70 for a little ove 3 mos. now and, there's not much I haven't done with it. For a 3MP camera you can use as a point and shoot or get more controls over using the manual controls, it's a very competent camera. I know a lot of people have had problems with theirs but (knock on wood), mine has been fine.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:03 AM   #10

Default Problems with A70

A lot of problems with A70's were reported, here on this forum and elsewhere. But I think it was a relatively small part of all A70's that had problems (the A70 is sold A LOT) and it seems that lately, there has been a decrease of complaints about malfunctioning A70's. This is only the way I see things, I don't have any numbers as proof.

I, for one, am very happy with my A70. Don't know if I would have bought an A80 if it was available when I bought my camera. It all depends on the price difference I guess
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote