Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:34 AM   #1

Default A80 Auto ISO: How does it work??

Hi, can any A80 owners shed some light on this please (forgive the pun!) I tried an A70 this week and liked it, then changed it for an A80 on a good deal. I tried the A70 out in all modes and it seemed rock solid on AF and exposure even in lower light.

Then I got the A80 (mainly as a wife cam) and didn't have the same point and shoot anything confidence feeling. This morning in early morning daylight I set the camera to full AUTO, and on distant outdoor shots the flash was firing. Now in full AUTO the camera defaults to auto flash auto ISO. I also noticed the amber low light warning led flashed. The shutter had been set for flash at 1/60. If I turned off auto flash, the shutter speed was just below 1/50th with the usual warnings. How can this be I thought? This camera has ISO up to 400ASA! and full auto mode should be exploiting the full ISO range unless you choose otherwise.

When I switched to Programme mode fixed 200ASA, the shutter speed went up 4X and the flash didn't fire.

So, does anybody elses A80 behave like a 50 ASA camera in lower light shooting set in Auto mode? Or am I unlucky and have a dud? Feedback appreciated as I can exchange the cam. I can't think I've missed a setup, because I always thought full AUTO, whilst not always the best, is intended to 'get a pic' by not allowing you to change much. Thanks VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:54 AM   #2

An interim reply (very quick and efficient!) from Canon EU. was that 50 ASA is probably used to get best pic quality. I'm still struggling with their argument as pic quality/sensitivity (camera shake , slow shutter, larger aperture, longer exposure on zoom) and battery life when the flash is fired unecessarily, are all important for point and shoot. With larger new ccd's these cams could be shooting at 200 ASA and no slower than 100 ASA, unless by exception in bright sun.

At least these cams are firmware upgradable! So I'll hope they come up with an improvement - and provide a 1/2 or full size histogram option I can see on the small 1.5" lcd. Until then I'll use it in Program mode! VOX
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:15 AM   #3

Not familiar with the A80, but the ISO automatic setting might just select from 50 or 100 (like on my Canon Pro90). It may also be impossible to select many functions in the "automatic" mode. Try "P" mode and set any parameters you want and let the camera select shutter speed and apature.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:36 AM   #4

Wildeman.........Thanks, my feelings as well after only a few hours. But why have an Auto point and shoot mode that sets itself to ISO 50 and can't be changed. Beats me. Even in 'P' mode I haven't found the camera using its sensitivity range when auto ISO is selected. This could be really useful to make up for the rapid loss in sensitivity when the zoom is used, particularly indoors. But then perhaps Auto ISO is only linked to zoom, so I'll do some more tests. Thanks again, VOX