Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:34 AM   #1

Default G2 black, limited edition

I've been pricing G2's and came across a black G2, labeled 'limited edition.' It was less money than the silver. This is the first I've come across this.

Does anyone here have it? Is it identical in every way except the color? Wonder why it would cost less. I think it looks better in black; however I only saw a photo and perhaps it's tinny and cheap irl.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:26 AM   #2

Default Re: G2 black, limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen
I've been pricing G2's and came across a black G2, labeled 'limited edition.' It was less money than the silver. This is the first I've come across this.

Does anyone here have it? Is it identical in every way except the color? Wonder why it would cost less. I think it looks better in black; however I only saw a photo and perhaps it's tinny and cheap irl.
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/.../PSG2_SN1.html

Canon has regrettably confirmed Internet reports of a "crack in the rear cover" in some samples of the Canon PowerShot G2/G2 Black model cameras.
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:35 AM   #3

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if a camera does *not* have the crack, does that mean it's likely to develop one and I should steer clear of the black model?

Gwen
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:01 PM   #4

flylow - thanks for the link. I noticed the crack about a year ago and thought it was something I had done!

Nothing I can do about it now, though...
tnj4uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj4uga
flylow - thanks for the link. I noticed the crack about a year ago and thought it was something I had done!

I would call and make sure, Telephone assistance from a Canon U.S.A. Customer Care representative free of charge during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays) at 1-800-828-4040 or 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Since it is a known issue and if they chose not to fix it for free even after the warranty has expired and I have the warranty card and original bill of sale to prove I am the original owner, personally I would move Canon down on my preferred list next time I buy a camera or printer. But that's me, I honestly expect great service if someone wants me to buy again.

You never know but I really doubt if they will fix it for free. At least you would know for sure. And it is their nickel for the phone call.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have been surprised by results obtained at times just by asking. Also disappointed too though.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:47 AM   #6

Default tnj4uga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj4uga

It seems someone had some luck with a known issue and canon repair...

http://www.photography-on-the.net/fo...?TopicID=20437

"Thankyou Canon! for the free repairs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My camera suffered the dreaded stroke "paralyzed with tongue sticking out" in the middle of a shoot. Lurked around a bit on this forum and posted a couple of rants. Thank you all for sympathies and advice. Two weeks after mailing the camera, I recieved the (much discussed and cussed) standard charge of $155.25 from Canon.
Today I talked with the Head Honcho @ Canon repair service in Illinois and explained to him the exact nature of my problem. He listened patiently and assured to look into the matter and call me back. The call came within 15 min, he complemented me on the pristine condition of the 3 yr old camera, explained to me that a screw had turned itself loose and had shorted the circuits. He also acknowledged that it is a known issue (What a Guy!), and that Canon will repair my camera at no charge .
In short, Canon has the decency to appreciate the loyalty of their customer base. A genuine problem was resolved in a most amicable manner.
Now how do I convince my wife to talk to Santa for a "Canon eos-d rebel"

Thanks a lot"