Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:08 PM   #11

Well trigger-

The XSi arrived this morning right on schedule. And guess what? I looks like it focuses perfectly. I guess I got the luck of the draw. Any way I have attached a photo sample of my husband. It was taken at ISO 800 indoors without flash. And it looks like this camera tends to slightly overexpose by about EV+0.3.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:00 AM   #12

Default Canon SX10 or SX20+++XSi

Sarah,...Thanks for the image,... Your XS shot is great. However, I hope you get just as good a shot with the XSI.

The shot of your husband just popped up as I finished my coments below. That appears to be better than any shot I've taken indoors. I assume is was taken at 55mm and probably f/5.6 at 1/60s. What was the distance of the shot. At 3' away the DOF is only 2" at those settings.
----------
In my continual search for information, I found some other camera reviews of the XSi,.. and I've also gone back and looked at ALL the cameras that Canon has recently come out with that use the previous and the same chips and lenses.

The reviews on this web sit of every Canon camera that has 10 Megapixels shows excellent sharpness in the sample photos. This goes for the G7, SX10, and the SX1. However in the SX series, the SX20 IS does not have excellent sharpness. But rather than point this out, this site has just not included POOR images. Other sites that have reviewed the SX20 IS have pointed out that the 12.1 Megapixel senors have lost sharpness, and in addition they show that the noise at ISO400 is already beginning to cause a problem. It is strange that the Canon XSi has the same sensor, and in my opion has lost sharpness, but it gets high marks for all ISO settings, including ISO 400, and 800.

So the question is since the SX 10 and 20 use the same lens and everything else is the same except the change to the 12.1 Megapixel sensor,... is this the only thing that could cause the poor ISO response.

The SX1 is in the same family as the SX10 and SX20 but it has great sharpness, uses the exact same 20x lense, and the same Digit chip as the the others, including the XSi,... but it still uses the 10Megapixel sensor. The SX1 is as sharp as the SX10 if you look at the samples on this web site.

Again,.. other sites have pointed out the real flaws in these cameras, and they pointed out that the SX20 and the XSi, both with 12.1 megapixel sensors have lost sharpness. I could find no such statement on this web site in the reviews.

It is also strange that the photographic community is beginning to vote on the new SX20 IS. The Market price and the demand for the SX10 IS is higher and the sales of old SX10s has forced the price higher that the cost of a new SX20 IS, even for used cameras without warranty?????

Somebody must know something!!!!!

Last edited by trigger1937; Oct 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:09 AM   #13

Sarah,....I finally got to look at the spec's on the XS and now I understand more what you are saying. I didn't realize how much it was the same but yet so different. It is a 3 way cross of the parts Canon has put into 3 Cameras,...the XSi, Xt, and the "S" body.

Anyway, I have another question to ask you and I hope you will respond. You are a teach of Photograph and I need a lot of instruction,.. or at least a lot of help.

I on the other hand am somewhat of an expert on Canon InkJet printers. I have written about 25 books (or Repair Manuals as I call them) for just about every Inkjet printer Canon has made since 2000. While you are titled as "Senior Member" on this site,...I have the title of "Inkjet Master" on the websites I support. I'm very glad to say I have helped 100's of people get & maintain their printers in top condition.

Anyway, here is my offer. If there is any help you need whatsoever on InkJet printers, you can contact me directly. What I would like is help from time to time in improving my photograph knowledge and skills.

My passion is shooting "Flowers", landscapes, vista's, and Macro. You've read my unhappy story about my XSi, but I'm still dealing with that, and I'm getting more comfortable with it every day. However the lenses I have for it are just the kit lenses, 18-55 mm IS, and the 75-300 mm telephoto. Neither of these lenses seem to do what I want for flowers, or Macro,..as my G7 does better on both, and especially my S3 IS does better at Telephoto.

So I have been looking at two options to improve things.

1. Buy the new Canon SX10 IS with great close up and telephoto. ($400)
2. Buy the Tamron 18-250 mm Macro lens for my XSi. ($450)

Without any comments from me, which would you choose and why?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14

trigger-

I would stay away from the SX-10 first of all. I have the Pentax 18-250mm lens, which is actually a rebadged Tamron that I like a lot. However, I have discovered, through trial and error, that, that lens seems to work a bit better on individual cameras.

For example, it is better on my Pentax Km that it is on my K-100. I really do not know how it would work on the canon XSi or the XS. It is an expensive lens new, so I hesitate to say go for it. Without, seeing some images with that lens/camera combination, we would know more and have fewer surprises. So I am happy to do some research and to see what I can find.

However, the Tamron 18-250mm lens is, to my mind, a better solution.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:32 PM   #15

OK, trigger-

Two thoughts after some short research. I found a couple very positive reviews over at www.amazon.com with the XSi and the 20D. I also found out that the tamron 18-250mm lens will focus down to 18." That might be helpful for your flower shots.

The other thought was this: why not the Canon 55-250mm lens? It is less expensive and it has received excellent reviews?

I will set up some shots with the Canon 55-250mm lens and my XSi and post them later today.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:45 PM   #16

Sarah,.. since you now have an XSi you could take a few pictures, except I guess the lens was made for the Pentax Camera and won't fit the XSi.

Tamron also has out their new 18-270 mm VC stablized lens which is quite a bit more expensive. The reviews indicate that it is about the same as the 18-250mm but the addition of the VC really improves the image quality at the high zoom range. I assume tha this price is going to stay rather high until the 1Q next year.

I would appreciate a few more comments from you on the SX10 IS. In every review of seen on the SX10 IS, it is a great camera. The new SX20 does have HD video mode but the reviews indicate it has lower quality at some of the larger focal lengths, and more noise at higher ISO.
What I lilked about the SX10 IS was that it is an all around camera that can shoot all of my favorites like, Flowers, closeups, Telephoto, and Macro. My S3 IS would be great if it had higher Megapixels. The SX10 IS is just the latest improvement on the S5 IS. So what is it about this camera you don't like.

I did a quick ISO test with all 3 of my Cameras yesterday just to compare my results with other reviews. My XSi must have a SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF NR built into the jpg compression since there is very little ISO noise even at the 1600 setting. All the others have visible noise at 400 and get worse very quick. This was common in all leading cameras including Nikon. The website I looked at had a very quick display of the ISO results for a wide range of Cameras. All you have to do is just move your mouse pointer over the Camera and the ISO to see the sample image.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:12 PM   #17

trigger-

I have owned the Canon S-1, S-2, S-3, S-5, and SX10 cameras. Personally, I believe that the S-5 model was just about as good as it got. When the SX-10 moved to 10mp, I feel that image quality was reduced and the usably ISO level also fell as well.

When using my Canon EX-430 external flash on the S-5 the camere, interestingly enough, would not use an ISO setting over ISO 250. So the bottom line is simply this. the Sxxx series cameras are seriously ISO limited. That is what pushed me from superzooms or bridge cameras into DSLR cameras. Myb complaint with the SX-10 was simple: a lack of image quality and noise reduction artefacts.

Now, changing the subject a bit to the Tamron Super Zoom lens. The way I read the reviews, it is rather clear that the !8-250mm lens has better image quality than the 18-270mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:48 PM   #18

Is it just me? However, trigger I am wondering why it takes several days for you to catch up with the current postings in this thread. It is sort of a delayed reaction sort of thing.

Quite honestly, it does not work very well for me, at all.. Could you please be a bit more prompt with your replies. Or, perhaps, it might be a bit better to break off these postings. I will leave the decision up to you, trigger.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:23 AM   #19

Sarah,... sorry for all the delay in my responses. It has been a VERY busy couple of days,... and I only get to work on my PASSION as times permits. Also, it seems we are many timezones apart. You last post yesterday was at 10:12 PM and I was still on other tasks. Today your first post was at 2:48 AM and of course I'm never up at that time. Right now it is 11:05 PM in California, and I only get to work on my stuff in the evening after about 7 PM.

I'm retired and live in a community where there are many activities and I also support our local art club and I help people with their computers and their printers. Somehow many people think my day belongs to them, yet my wife comands priority over everything else.

Beyond all of this one of my very close friends here has just suffered a terrible trajedy. He went in to get his oldest daughter up for breakfast and found her dead in bed. Our community is really upset by this event and now we know that 4 days after this the local police finally raided a drug house and arrested 14 people, many of them under 21 years old. This girl was absolutley beautiful and she died just 3 weeks short of her 18th birthday. This is a fathers worst nightmare.

Maybe I'll have more time later in this week.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:07 PM   #20

trigger-

I am sorry, and offer my apologies about this being a very busy and stressful week for you. I too, face my own demands, as my loving husband is severly disabled. Thus, being on the internet pretty much during the day, allows me to be close and to help Bradley as needed. There was no indication concerning your place of residence next to your screen name. Geographic dislocation does indeed create understandable lapses, thank for alerting me to that factor.

As we had discussed, I was able to create photo samples for the Canon 55-250mm lens mounted on both the Canon XS and Canon XSi cameras The Pentax 18-250mm lens that I own will not mount of course on a Canon DSLR, so I have included a photo sample from that lens taken with the Pentax Km/K-2000 model camera body.

Attached you will find photos of my ever patient husband, Bradley. The first photo sample was taken with the Canon XS.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images