Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:11 PM   #21

Here is a 100% crop of the above photo for the pixel peepers.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:16 PM   #22

Here is the photo sample from the XSi with the same Canon 55-250mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:22 PM   #23

Here is the 100% crop of the immediately above photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:05 PM   #24

Default Canon SX10 or SX20+++XSi

Sarah,... Thanks for your comments. Things have calmed down somewhat. I've gone back and reviewed all of the comments you've made and I see each and every one of your concerns.

On the issue of the SX10 IS, there are so many sites that give a top rating to the SX10 IS but they still acknowledge your points of image quality and ISO noise. I would like to understand more about your Tamron 18-250 lens on your Pentax. I've done several searches of the 18-250 mm lens on Pentax and have located many sites with 100's of excellent pictures taken with a "Similar Lens". You mentioned that you believe this "IS" the Tamron lens, and it would be fantastic if I could confirm this, as those pictures posted at the Pentax sites are incredible,.. and they have one gallary that is just dedicated to the 18-250 mm lens with over 175 images. These were taken by dozens of professionals, all with one or more Pentax cameras.

My only last thoughts about the SX10s, is that it is an ALL-IN-ONE lens and the pictures show it does all I need to do. Yes the ISO noise at 400 and higher is not usable, but there are really good software to help in that area if needed. I would do as others have and limit my shooting to 200 or lower. That camera just has so many things that I don't have on the XSi , and buying one medium expensive lens isn't going to fix that. I guess the right thing for me to do, if I really believe the Tamron 18-250 mm is the perfect lens, would be to sell the 18-55mm and the 75-300mm I have and just get the 18-250 tamron.

If I had such a lens, what would I ever need my kit lenses for,... i.e., the Canon 18-55 mm IS, or the Canon 75-300mm telephoto lens. The other point is,..What could I sell them for on eBay.

Here is one other question. The SX10 IS, has the same sensor as all the Canno APS-c cameras, and the Digit 4 chip and stays at the 10 MP resolution,... so why would this camera have any less image quality than any of the new Canon Cameras.

I'm going down to the bay area soon and there is a place where I can take one of my SDHC chips and test these cameras.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:47 PM   #25

trigger-

I will show you four images from the Pentax Kx DSLR equipped with the Pentax 18-250mm lens, and you make your judgements. These were a part of my Kx test which is still ongoing.

Here is #1

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:56 PM   #26

Of course, we also have 100% crops of each photo available, on request.

Here is #2

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:00 PM   #27

Here is photo #3

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:04 PM   #28

Here is Photo #4.

All photos were taken with the Pentax Kx and the Pentax 18-250mm lens

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:07 PM   #29

Default Canon SX10 or SX20+++XSi

Sarah,...Thanks for the images. The color cast is very different for the two cameras. Is seems the XSi has much more of a Red cast, but that could just be the difference in lighting at the time you shot the two images. The 2nd shot of your husband, the colors seems to be more natural and true. Is this correct. His image was good and sharp and real.

The last three close ups needed more DOF to get better focus and sharper images. How close where you for those shots and what were the settings.

I've also read many reviews and compaired the Tamron 18-250 & 270 mm and I've also read where some feel the 250 is sharper. However, as with every review (as you have just pointed out), each lens is different on every Camera, so it could have been just that much difference. However, the increase in stabliztion with the VC in the 270 is worth about 3 stops and this has got to offset the difference in ISO noise and sharpness. I don't have sufficient experience in any of this to quantify just how much but those three items don't have the same weight. I would have been temped to just get the 18-250mm but I know I will want to do a lot of telephoto shoot in the field and you know there is never enough time to do a tripod setup when you need to. That is where the VC stabilisation is going make a difference.

One last question on ISO noise reduction. There are several excellent programs and I use Photoshop Elements 6.0 which does have the noise reduction filter. It seems to help but not as good as programs like NeatImage. What do you use when you need to do NR. I know some people say, "Don't every shoot at ISO 400 or above, but life is not that easy when you're in the field and need to shoot.

On your suggestion of the Canon 55-300, I don't see that as much better than the Canon 75-300 I already have. Both of them have no IS and I can find no real fault with my 75-300, except it has no IS. The manual focus on it is better than my 18-55mm but at least it has IS.

I think it is going to come down to a battle between the Tamron 250 and the 270 VC. There are plenty more sites to examine.

There is an article in the February issue of the Digital PHOTO (old PC Photo) mag, on 365 days of her life by Erin Greenlee. Most all of her shots were done with the Pentax K10D and the smc DA 18-250 F3.5-6.3 lens. There are also 100's of shots at the Pentax Gallary using the smc DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3 FD AL(IF) lens. I'm not sure if this is really the same lens made by Tamron but maybe you know if it is. I'm sure it is mad by Tamron, but are the guts the same, ie,. focus, glass, elements, etc. The shots at the Pentax Gallery are outstanding,... of course they are shot by professionals.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:15 AM   #30

Good Morning, trigger-

The color cast in those four Pentax KX images are indeed somewhat different, as I was experimenting with the "Custom Image" feature on page one of the Shooting menu. An yes, you are entirely correct, I too find Canon images to be on the "redish" side. Any color cast variations on the KX are due to my dabbling with the "Custom Image" as I noted above. I have since returned the KX back to factory defaults, and I am myself much more please with the consistency of the color cast. For example skin tones appear much more normal and natural now.

The two camera shot were taken at night at a distance of 5 to 6 feet, and my somewhat weak Metz 36 flash was not churning out the volume of light that I really needed. I am going to exchange that Metz-36 for a Metz-48 or -54 to increase the volume of light. A greater volume of light is needed to enhance the DOF when using the Pentax 18-250mm lens due to its small apertures.

As I mentioned previously, the Pentax 18-250mm lens is acknowledged to be a re-badged Tamron 18-250mm lens that has a few "tweaks" designed to implement the lens more smoothly with Pentax brand DSLR cameras. Tamron did the very same thing for Sony brand DSLR cameras when the Sony 18-250mm lens was created a re-badged lens for the Sony brand.

In experimenting, I have found the Pentax 18-250 lens to work better and to produce sharper images with the KM, KX, and K-7 models because they use the more sophisticated focusing system that was developed after Hoya took over ownership of the Pentax brand.

As to the debate about the sharpness of the Tamron 18-270mm lens versus the Tamron 18-250mm lens, my comments were based of my reading of the Tamron 18-270mm lens review, at, if I recall correctly, www.photozone.de.

I am sorry to say that I do not know precisely what changes exactly were made to the Tamron 18-250mm lens when it was re-badged for both Pentax and Sony. However, I was led to believe that the changes were minor and they had to do with speeding up the focus cycle by adapting more closely to the Sony and Pentax focusing systems. As Sony and Pentax both have the IS mechanism built into the DSLR camera body, the need for a Tamron VC/IS mechanism was a non-issue.

I too, use Neat Image as I use a MAC computer. I find Neat Image to be a much better performer, for noise reduction without a severe loss of detail, than the noise filter that is to be found in Photoshop Elements. As I do a lot of theater photography, I have no choice but to depend on high ISO settings, as I am not permitted to use any flash. My interest in the Pentax KX model was generated by the fact that Hoya engineers decided to return to using a new 12mp, Sony developed imager that is much better when using high ISO settings. That same imager is used in the new Sony A-500, the Nikon D-5000, and the Nikon D-90 cameras. based on the little experimentation I have been able to do with the Pentax KX model, my test images look rather promising.

The Canon lens that I suggested in the Canon 55-250mm lens, and it does indeed have IS. It is a lens that just came to market in the last 6 to 9 months and its formulation is entirely different than that of the Canon 75-300mm len which has no IS at all.

Personally, I have come, in the last month or so, to be a rather large supporter of the single lens solution. I like shooting with the Pentax 18-250mm lens when it is mounted on a high performing DSLR body that offers much better high ISO performance which essentially overcomes the small aperture problem of that lens. Note to that harks back to the weak flash versus full powered flash unit that I encountered when shooting those camera shots that I have to use this coming Tuesday, 03 November when I begin a Pre-Christmas course at our local Community College on "Selecting a Digital Camera for Christmas and Getting Your Money's Worth." In January for the Winter Quarter Bradley and I will teach 2 other courses: An Introduction to Photoshop Elements" and our own copyrighted course, "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy."

I will attach another photo of Bradley, that was taken after I had returned the Pentax KX to its factory defaults. Then I will attach another photo, contained in a separate post that is of the same camera setup but it was taken on a tripod at ISO 6400 with the Pentax KX model.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images