Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:17 AM   #31

And here is the Pentax KX photo taken with the pentax 18-250mm lens at ISO 6400.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:20 PM   #32

Default Canon SX10 or SX20+++XSi

Sarah,... Wow,... that was some reponse. You really cleared up a lot of questions on my mind and I thank you for your time and effort.

I can see now your interest in the XSi because of the great Noise Reduction that is built into it. My other cameras don't come near the NR of the XSi as they typically don't go past ISO 400, where my XSi will go to 1600. I also use a flash similar to the 550EX. It is not a Canon by an off brand but it seems to perform just as well and cost me 1/4 of the price. It does not have all of the features but about 90% of them.

There is another thread on this web site about the SX1 Canon Camera that has so many wonderful images and data that it has created many more questions about Canon Cameras. Rather than drag this thread out into totally new areas, I'm going to start a new thread and hopefully get many more people involved till I can come to a conclusion. I'm not going to bother the SX1 thread since it has a life of it's own. My question will focus on "Camera Technology or Skill" I hope you will join in and help answer the questions I plan to pose.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:38 PM   #33

Tigger-

Of course, I will be happy to join in any of your new discussions/ threads. You made no mention of the ISO 6400 image from the Perntax KX camera that I had attached to my second post. I actually thought that the excellent image quality was made possible by some excellent in camera NR and the high ISO qualities of that new Sony 12mp imager. no noise reduction software was used on it at all, which is pretty amazing for ISO 6400.

Have you considered using the XSi with a dedicated macro lens such as the Tamron 90mm lens, which is an amazingly sharp lens.

Please keep in mind that there is a sizable image quality difference when comparing images from the super zoom cameras and from DSLR cameras. Is the video clip possibility also an attraction for you to the SX-1 and SX-10 cameras? You remember of course that the Canon S-5 had dual channel audio and what was acknowledged to be a state of the art video system for its day. No, it was not HD quality, but folks simply raved about it.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote