Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:33 PM   #21

Default Is it the Canon Technology or just skill

Thanks for both of those notes. I'm learning more each day. I'm looking for a better tripod as you suggested and I've seen some pretty heavy ones on eBay. They range anywhere from $40 to $150, so could you tell me what would be an important feature to look for.

Since others that inserted images that a certainly good enough for viewing,.. it seems that I can do the same. All I have to do is to resize them to fit the requirements. However, the requirements don't seem to go together. On one hand the limit on file size is 250KB and/or 1kx1k pixels for attachments. What is the requirement for linked images. Also, if I re-size them, won't I be loosing all the fine detail that we are trying to look for in a 100% image. It seems rather for people to have to LINK out to another site, download an image to do some comparison. Is this the only way?
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #22
Super Moderator

you won't necessarily lose all the detail we are looking for if resized correctly. what you can do is host the full size image on flickr. and link a moderate size version (maybe choose medium) from flickr using this method

----
you can link them here using the "insert image" icon above the text entry box.

then go grab the pic's url by going to the photo on your flickr page, click on "all sizes", pick the appropriate size you wish to link and then go to #2 "Grab the URL",

copy and paste that url to the "insert image" dialogue box.
---

then just give us a standard link for the full size image which you would also host on flickr. that way we can see in general what the shot looks like, and then refer to the full size image for any details, etc we may need.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:12 PM   #23

OK,... I'm working on the Flickr images and the resizing. In the mean time, today I went to use my oler S3 IS Camera for some other shots and of course the batteries were dead. I now remember one of my big dislikes in using that camera and that was having to recharge the AA batteries all the time. Yes I have NiMH but the problem always seems to be the shelf life of a charge. If the camera sets for a few days, the batteries are almost gone. It seems to me this will be the same problem with the new Canon SX10 IS and the SX20 IS. My other cameras use the NiLithium batteries and these seem to last a VERY LONG TIME. I also have backup batteries for both the G7 and the XSi and I never have a problem with these cameras and batteries. I assume that Lithium batteries are now available in AA 1.5 volts and that they should last as good as the others.

On the question about tripods,.. while my old one was a good German made model, with excellent legs extendable to three X, the head would move in three directions but each was controlled by a separate lever, the worst point was that it was very difficult to attach the Camera to the head,... unless you had the fingers of a child. I think this old tripod would be usefull to hold a 2nd remote flash, or other accessories.

I took a close look at my XSi today and found several particles of dust/dirt on the mirror, and the filter was also dirty so I carefully cleaned the filter. All I could do to the mirror was use a blower, and a special brush to get the dust off the mirror. It didn't want to move with just blowing air on it. However, I noticed that the mirror is etched with some form of a ground glass image on the edges of the mirror. At first I thought it was caked on dirt but after careful exam with my 5x loop I could see the pattern. I was very careful not to touch the mirror or anything else inside. I also cleaned the front glass on both my lenses along with the UV filters.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:46 AM   #24

Sarah,... In some other posts on this web site that were discussing the Tamron 18-250/270 mm you mention the one you ordered back in July for you Pentax. You mentioned that you would post some pictures using that new lens. Where are they?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:43 AM   #25

All of the Pentax Kx photos posted in the Pentax DSLR folder were taken with the Pentax 18-250mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:06 AM   #26

Susan,..Hards80,... Since the next part of this discussion is totally about the Focus issue I have had with my Canon XSi, I think the Title we have on this thread will confuse people. So for all the information you have asked for, in the persuit of helping me, I am going to start a new thread with the Title of ,... Focus problems with Canon XSi.

Later on I can come back to this thread to talk about the solution to my quest for a new "Something" and the discussion of the SX10, SX1 or the Tamron 18-270 lens.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 1:35 AM   #27

OK, now that I've vented all my problems with my XSi into the correct topic area, I can get back to where I would like to go.

I took another look at my old S3 IS camera today because it is basically the same body and funtions on both the SX10 and the SX20. In going back and reading the reviews of both of these cameras, it became very clear to me that in over the 4+ years since the S5 was introduced, Canon has put no NEW DEVELOPMENT OR DESIGN INTO EITHER OF THESE CAMERAS. The only changes from the S5 to the Sx10 is the New 20X lense and the Digic IV chip. Both of these were developed for other Cameras, and were put into the "S" body only because it was easy to do and possible would sell more cameras. The Lens was developed for the SX1. The Digic IV chip is an ongoing development for all of the Digital cameras that Canon is putting out. The only change in the SX20 is the upgrade to the 12.1 Megapixel Sensor which was developed for the XSi and just installed in the SX20.

The terrible point of this is that when you look at the functions that are basic to the performance of these cameras, there has been no improvement. Not that there couldn't have been, because they have the technology if they only wanted to use it. In the review done by this web site, it was pointed out that the new DigiC IV chip brought enhanced processing power for advanced noise reduction. Yet when you look at the sample images in the review, the ISO noise in this camera is terrible. If you look at the feet of the M&M doll, you will see quite a bit of noise even at ISO 100, and by the time you get to ISO 400 it is just not acceptable. So what happened to the great power of the Digic IV. In the Canon XSi camera, they do use the chip to give that camera outstanding noise reduction all the way up to ISO 1600.

The next step was the SX20,... and they bumped up the 12.1 Megapixel which actually made the noise even worse, but still they did not add any of the Noise reduction software... Why???

At one point I was seriously considering either the SX10 or the SX20,.. but when I got out my S3 and compaired some of the key features I could see they have really not done anything that they could have. Take the EVF Electronic view finder. The S3 is pretty bad, yet when I look at the reviews of the S5, SX10, SX20, I do not see one change or improvement in any part of the camera, including the tiny little 2.5 fold around LCD.

Look at the improvement in the EVF for the XSi or the new LCD on the rear. Look at what other companies are doing. Once you do and then look close at this camera, it is not impressive at all.

Canon did a similar thing with the XSi,... they removed the auto Focus bracketing function out of the software,... yet all the other key cameras have kept this feature. This is one I could have really used. Why did they do this, especially when they still kept in the software the ability to do "Exposure Bracketing". So the basic software is still there to shoot 3 images of different exposures but not for Focus Bracketing.

If the chip has the ability to do superior noise reduction, similar to the XSi, why wouldn't they use it. Did they believe the people are so stupid they would buy the camera anyway, just because Camera reviews gave it a pass. Did they think that people are so dumb that they will buy anything if it at least has 1 thing new each year??? You bet they do.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:22 AM   #28
Super Moderator

keep in mind that the sx series uses a much different sensor than the xsi. for example the sx20is uses a ~6x4mm sensor with 43mp/cm^3 pixel density. whereas the the xsi is a ~22x15mm sensor with 3.7mp/cm^3 pixel density.

so therein lies the huge difference in noise between any dslr and compact cameras. no matter what image processor they put in it, it cannot defy the laws of physics.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:25 AM   #29

Hards80,... Yes I think this is exactly the point in Rockwell article. The bad news is that while we are trying to get better DOF we are pushed to higher f/stops,.. but that is where the difraction starts to get worse. Rockwell has suggest never going above F/8,.. and this makes it very difficult to shoot flowers closeup, as the light never wants to be correct when I need to shoot.

Just for couriosity I was looking at some of the other Mega Zoom cameras in both Nikon, Pentax, and the Panasonic. The sad news about the Panasonic FZ28 was the minimum focus distance at telephoto of 6ft, and the ISO noise. The built in NR was pretty good but the Noise was still visible. The Pentax X70 was also a great camera, but it is very strange that there was not one picture shot to test ISO noise since this was a VERY large component of testing in ALL OTHER CAMERAS. Also the minimum focusing distance of the 24X zoom was great for wide but drops back to 5.5+ feet for telephoto. Bottom line is that the Nikno had better all around performance than any of the Canon or other Super Zoom. The only issue with the Nikon was the ISO noise and it seems the built in NR can take care of most of that. The Nikon 3" LCD, plus all of it shooting features and the ability of the unit to AF in macro mode up to telephoto is a great +.

I would welcome some comments on what I have said, or mis-said.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:04 PM   #30

trigger-

Here is a thought that might address your macro concerns. Have you considered a camera like the Canon G-11 rather than the SX-10/SX-20 cameras. From the samples I have seen, it focuses very well and offers even RAW which might be helpful.

Sarah Joyce who is not Susan
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote