Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:17 AM   #1

Default What would Cause this...

I again went to another old Fort they call them Battery s here and my Sayno camera again had some slight problems when we my son and I was using it ...At the first Fort Manchester in the old Engine room would not flash until I hit the button three times only when I was in the room once I stepped out it would be fine...
This second Fort Worden it would not zoom while out side a room and it gave this inscription in the Screen: 0x20911 (with a red line that it sat in).... Did not take any pictures in any rooms with it only stood out side the rooms with this camera. I was having a lot of neg feelings there that day it was cold and the tide was up high hardly any beach at the Fort that day.

Is there any connection with Camera functions malfunctioning and the old Fort Engine rooms at these old Battery's locations that any one knows of ... or is the Sea air that will cause this to happen?
They do say that the battries will not work properly in some cold weather conditions.. any one with information for I know that Batteries stored in a cold fridge would keep better that is where I and my grandparents have always stored our batteries. Nora
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2

Nora-

No, I do not think there was and connection between your photo locations and your camera. More than likely it was the batteries not being fully charged. If you are not already using NImH Hybrid batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop brand batteries this might be a good time to consider making that change.

Placing batteries in the refrigerator worked for lead-acid batteries. However, battery technology has changed a whole lot. With today's batteries it is best to store them at room temperature.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:08 PM   #3

Well it was odd that I had to press the shutter three times every time I was in the old engine room but when I stepped back out of the room it only took one press... no I did not use flash when I took the photos and I was in two other rooms as well that were about the same size and it did not happen in them like it did in that one room. I tried it over 15 times and it did the same each time.. So that is why I am questioning it as I do knowing what I do.. along with things that have happen around me these odd things no one can explain do happen weather others like the thought or not.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:30 AM   #4
Super Moderator

There are some camera modes where the camera will not take a picture until a focus lock is achieved.

So sometimes in dim light you may need multiple presses to get the focus close enough so that it trips the shutter. The fact that it was consistent indoors suggests that there was not a huge amount of variation in those rooms. Going into bright light gave the camera enough light to work with.

The error on the screen could be from a lot of things, but dampness is a possible cause in an old fort. If there is a lot of damp it can cause minor shorting which could cause issues.

Cold can also affect batteries. A battery which doesn't have enough charge in a cold place can have sufficient charge to fire in a warm place. When batteries are almost flat or nearing the end of their life you might get poor performance simply by varying ambient temperature by 10C which is easily possible when moving from a damp fort into the sunshine.

So there are a number of possible reasons why this could have happened. We will probably never know for sure. :-)

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:36 PM   #5

Thanks Peripatetic that does hit a belief in me..