Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:52 PM   #11

jazzer-

Many thanks for your great Time Square photo sample from the Canon S-90. Very well done. I must own up to the fact that while I am learning every day with the G-11 and progressively moving forward with better, and better image quality. It will take time. The G-11 is a really great camera. But, today, I just could not resist the independence and creativity of the S-90. So come Tuesday, 17 November, I will have both cameras, as I feel that they are best adapted to two different photo environments.

Wish me luck, and have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:27 PM   #12

Hi Sarah-

This is an excellent thread. I'm thinking about getting either G11 or S90 as a backup for my DSLR.

I'm interested in how the new "Low Light" mode on the G11 performs.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Super Moderator

meh, i wouldnt worry bout the low light mode, it reduces the resolution pretty low.

but the g11 does perform nicely at high-iso, so for low-light it (and the s90) will do quite nicely for a compact p&s.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
meh, i wouldnt worry bout the low light mode, it reduces the resolution pretty low.

but the g11 does perform nicely at high-iso, so for low-light it (and the s90) will do quite nicely for a compact p&s.
Thanks for your input!

BTW, I really like those wheels for adjusting exposure and ISO on the G11.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:43 PM   #15

Dustin-

That is why I think there is adequate space in my camera arsenal for both the Canon G-11 and the S-90. They each seem to address very different photo environments. Least you might wonder, I have begun to sell off some of my DSLR equipment. In fact, the Pentax K-20 goes this weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Super Moderator

yea. the G series controls have always been top-notch. i think for myself if i were getting a compact to go with a dslr i would probably lean towards the s90 as the size difference between the G11 and a dslr is not enough that there would be times where you could bring the g11 and not the dslr. however, the s90 is small enough to go anywhere in a large pocket. (the panny lx3 is also a nice photographers p&s to look into)

if i did not own a dslr and did not need 1 and was a photographer looking for a primary camera, the g11 would be at the top of a short list.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:45 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dustin-

That is why I think there is adequate space in my camera arsenal for both the Canon G-11 and the S-90. They each seem to address very different photo environments. Least you might wonder, I have begun to sell off some of my DSLR equipment. In fact, the Pentax K-20 goes this weekend.

Sarah Joyce
i agree, completely different cameras for different purposes. for those that do not need dslr's. they would provide an excellent combo.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
yea. the G series controls have always been top-notch. i think for myself if i were getting a compact to go with a dslr i would probably lean towards the s90 as the size difference between the G11 and a dslr is not enough that there would be times where you could bring the g11 and not the dslr. however, the s90 is small enough to go anywhere in a large pocket. (the panny lx3 is also a nice photographers p&s to look into)

if i did not own a dslr and did not need 1 and was a photographer looking for a primary camera, the g11 would be at the top of a short list.
Good point and I agree, but I still cannot decide. I have been thinking about this for a week or two now. The LX3 is also a very attractive camera, but I might go with the S90 as I had great experiences with my old SD400.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
jazzer-

The G-11 is a really great camera. But, today, I just could not resist the independence and creativity of the S-90. So come Tuesday, 17 November, I will have both cameras, as I feel that they are best adapted to two different photo environments.

Wish me luck, and have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
From what I have seen (and read in the case of the G-11), both are terrific cameras. The more I am using the S-90, the more I like it. It's my first new camera in some time and there is a lot to get familiar with! I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the S-90 when you receive it ... and absolutely I wish you the best with both cameras!

Not to get too off topic, but after a while I expect to buy another camera to supplement the S-90 and don't know what I will look at. The G-11 is a great camera, but if I am using 2 cameras (one pocketable and one "other") the G-11 may be a little too similar to the S-90 to warrant the purchase for my situation. A superzoom or a DSLR may make more sense for me. But knowing myself, I'm just not sure how often I would ever be willing to lug around DSLR gear and deal with changing lenses, etc. Hmmm.

Anyway, here's a link to some more S-90 pictures. Can set up a separate thread so as not to detract from the G-11 discussion if that makes more sense.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:11 AM   #20

Jazzer, Hiro, and Dustin-

I willing share with you what has gone on in my mind, and how I think this will all play out. Progressively so, in the last six to eight months, I have tired of hauling around a large camera kit. I longed for something smaller that would provide high image quality, while being physically smaller to haul around.

At first, I looked at the m4/3 cameras, and was put off due to their high cost and the very limited lens selection. Next, I came to peace with the concept that I could zoom with my feet. I re-looked at the Olympus E-420 that I own, and compared that to my love of stage photography, and decided it was a "no go" situation with the E-420 because it does not have IS, and while I use a tripod a lot, I did not want to be welded to the need for a tripod 100% of the time, which is how I have used the E-420.

Then I came across photos from the Canon G-11 that I admired, and the more I saw, the better those G-11 photos looked. That was when I decided that I would get the G-11. Like any camera, I had to get used to the G-11 and to increase my proficiency with it. However, my skill with the G-11 has sharpened a bit each day, which pleased me a lot. My husband, Bradley, is physically challenged in a big way, so I now have to stay pretty close to home to care for him. As a result, I grab little opportunities to take a few photos when I go shopping for groceries and the like.

Just as Dustin mentioned, the more I worked with the G-11, the more I liked the image quality, but I soon came to the realization that there was not a whole lot of size difference between my Olympus E-620 and the G-11. Or for that matter between my Canon XSi and the G-11. Yes, as a digital camera instructor I have my share of cameras.

So, and perhaps this is where I went wrong, I began to follow Canon S-90 photos, and I was amazed. I had sort of ignored the S-90, but here were people, getting great photos with the S-90, that were very comparable indeed to the G-11. That is logical as the two cameras share the same imager. However, it was a pleasant surprise for me.

Yesterday (14 November) I decided that I would order the S-90 as Amazon had just dropped the price on the S-90 and I had an Amazon Gift Certificate, as well. In the final analysis, one of those cameras will have to be returned before 01 December, but I will have the opportunity to shoot both side by side for awhile and make a good, and well thought out decision.

So I am guessing that I will in the next month come to a S-90 and G-11 decision. I will continue to sell off the DSLR cameras that I do not need and by the Spring of 2010, I will have made a complete transition to a much lighter camera bag, with the DSLR used only when I really need that kind of photographic performance.

For Jazzer, regarding the question as to which camera will be next for you, let me share with you a personal observation. Bridge cameras are good, and they will whet your appetite, but after just 6 months, or so, with a good bridge camera, you will probably be wanting more. Think about this: take your bridge camera investment and use it toward a DSLR purchase. I am 74 years old, my DSLR days are waning. You are young and still want to explore more cameras, as you sharpen your skills photographically. The DSLR is the logical choice.

For Hiro, perhaps you can use the same rule that I employ. If I can sell off some cameras, then I give myself permission to purchase a new camera. You are a lot like me. I have seen you grow, while nicely sharpening your photographic skills in the last 6 months or so. You truly enjoy precision photography.

For what they might be worth, those are my thoughts, and what I am winding my way through right now. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM.