Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Sarah.

Thank you for posting this, I am sure it will be helpful for many people. I think it illustrates nicely the point that when you buy a digital camera of any kind, there are more things that go into that decision than just the technical specifications. For general photography (sports/action/specific types excluded) most of todays digital cameras will do the job admirably on the image quality, etc front. It's important to find the one you feel comfortable with. I think that is a point that gets lost for many people as they buy their first digital camera, or upgrade existing cameras.

Just to continue the theme you introduced Sarah, in hopes that it could be of help for Jazzer, Hiro, or any others reading this, I would like to give my opinions on size and how I personally look at it. For me, there is only 2 sizes of cameras. There is "fits in my pocket" and "does not fit in my pocket". For myself, carrying my 50d around all day, even with my larger lenses, is not a problem. If i need to go lighter, i can snap on my 28 1.8 and head to the city, and I will never be bothered by the weight or size, if i am on a photo expedition. Going to a G11 would not change my shooting style at all. I would never grab that instead of the dslr because of weight or bulk, nor would it allow me to stay out longer. So basically for myself, adding a G11 to my dslr kit would not increase my time spent shooting.

On the contrary, a pocketable camera such as the S90 would. as there are many times I might head out with the gf or friends, without the express intention of shooting. and having a small camera such as this with me would afford photographic opportunities that would not be there without having such a small, discreet camera. and having the feature set and the quality of the s90 would be of great asset to me as a photographer.

on a related note, the panny lx1,2,3 sits somewhere in the middle, the protruding lens keeps it out of my pocket most of the time. so i really don't use it that much. however it is still quite small, and fits in my gf's smallest purses, so she has it with her all the time. just a little aside that may be helpful.

so in summary. any means to go lighter may be of great utility for some, like Sarah. While for myself, I see no advantages to going lighter until it becomes pocketable.

-Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:30 PM   #22

Dustin-

That is an excellent post. Really, each of us through the years, will find that our priorities tend to change as we grow older, or even as photography skills increase, and our camera priorities change.

The size difference thing is very subjective. However, as I mentioned previously, when going from a lot of DSLR photography to a smaller kit, the greater the size difference between the DSLR and the new camera, the greater the feeling of change.

It is for just that reason that I predicted that the Canon S-90 might indeed replace the Canon G-11 after a week or so trial.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:14 PM   #23

Dustin and Sarah,

Thank you so much for your very helpful posts.

In terms of camera size, if you can believe it, the S90 was a bit of a compromise for me. I wanted a pocketabele camera to carry with me all the time, which the S90 is. But it is not pocketable in the way the SD780 (which is tiny) is, for example. With a small case it probably is more suited to a jacket pocket than a shirt pocket. However, I decided that the manual control, better image quality and low light capability was well worth the slight trade-off in size and that ultimately, I probably would be no more likely to carry an SD780 with me than the S-90 -- so it made sense to buy what in my mind was the better camera.

My thought is that I will for now use the S90 and try to learn as much about it and photography as I can. Because it is pocketable and I take it with me everywhere, I find that I am spending more time with it (and, therefore, more time learning and enjoying) than I otherwise would with a non-pocketable camera. At such time as I feel that my needs require or I would really like something more (which is very subjective when comparing a superzoom to the S90), I will assess whether it will make a difference to me whether I am carrying a DSLR or a superzoom. If I feel, as I did with the S90 vs. a smaller pocket camera, that the additional size of a DSLR will not affect my use/behavior vs. a superzoom, than I suspect I will conclude that a DSLR would be the better choice for me at that time -- although I will likely look for a light one :-).

--Larry
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:19 PM   #24

Hi there, Larry-

Thanks for an insightful post. You have a good handle on things. You will make the right decision when the time comes. In the meantime, focus on improving your photo skills. The Canon S-90 seems ideal as a learning tool.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:25 PM   #25

The Canon G series has always been a camera I have followed and developed a lot of interest in over the years.

I looked seriously at the G10, came close to purchase but backed off because of concerns re; pix quality at higher ISO.

I have heard/read that Canon has addressed this issue with the G11.

I will be interested in your assessment of the G11 and the pictures produced from this camera at different ISO's, etc.

I agree with you re: weight of equipment.

At this point in my life I also find that I don't want to carry around the extra weight of a DSLR and a number of lenses in one bag.

One DSLR with the lens I have attached is about the max for me nowadays.

I did buy a Pentax KM as a daily carry around and although for a DSLR it is small and light it's still not a camera I can slip in an oversize pocket.

I used to carry around my small Leica Rangefinder (11F) with it's collapsible 50mm Elmar lens.

Great little unit capable of very high quality photos, could carry in an oversize pocket.

I am hoping that the Canon G series will be able to match the Leica's performance, as the small size and light weight of the Canon G seems to be similar to my old 11F.

I also like handling of the G series, small, high quality robust build, external control knobs, buttons etc. to control the camera's settings.

So, please continue writing about your experiences and evaluation of your new G11. I look forward to your comments about the G11.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:18 PM   #26

Hi there, Les-

Yes, I will continue this G-11 thread. And we are going to explore the Canon S-90 as well, though we will most probably do that in a separate thread to avoid confusion. Thus far, I have enjoyed the G-11, although getting out to shoot photos is becoming more difficult from me due to my husband's health and mobility.

Here is a sample G-11 photo taken at ISO 800 without flash indoors, which is something the G-10 never could do. It give you an idea of the G-11's image quality.

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 PM   #27

Sarah,

That's a pretty good photo at ISO 800 in indoor available light. Thanks for posting it.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:01 AM   #28
Super Moderator

yea, not many p&s can do available light at 800 that well.

also great for indoor use is the nice hotshoe on top that allows full use of any canon flashgun.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:50 AM   #29

Dustin-

I have be alternating between the EX-270, which balances very well on the G-11, and the EX-430 which has sufficient power for even bouncing off of high ceilings, but due to its size becomes somewhat unbalanced when mounted on the G-11.

Another flash that is favored by G-10 and G-11 users is the Sunpak RD-2000, which is also small like the EX-270 and can do bounce flash in a pinch. However, beware that you will have to increase the ISO substantially to use bounce flash with the Sunpak RD-2000.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:06 PM   #30

Sarah & Dustin-

Thanks for your thoughts. Very logical and I agree.

My usual setup is very compact. The E410 & 14-54mm Mark l. I put them in my Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home bag and bring it everywhere I go even to the lab class I teach at a local university.

But, I also carry my laptop. I use a Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment laptop bag for it. So, I carry two bags on campus. It looks like my laptop bag has enough room for the G11. And the G11 might also fit into my Gloverall coat's oversize pocket.

But, the S90 has a faster lens f/2 at the wide end.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote