Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:42 PM   #51

I own a G10 myself, had it for about a year or so, and I must say I am quite disappointed with it's low light capabilities. I am just an ordinary point and shoot type of guy, a novice if you will and the camera has let me down when it comes to indoor shooting quite a few times.

Judging by some test shots and reviews, G11 is a huge improvement in this department.
SantaClawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:25 PM   #52

Santa Clawz-

You are very correct. The Canon G-11 is a huge improvement over the G-10 in terms of numerically high ISO shooting. You might just tuck a G-11 into your pack on Christmas Eve for yourself.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Santa Clawz-

You are very correct. The Canon G-11 is a huge improvement over the G-10 in terms of numerically high ISO shooting. You might just tuck a G-11 into your pack on Christmas Eve for yourself.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Yeah that would be nice, but the problem is it's price. Right now an entry level DSLR is cheaper than G11 so I am stuck, not sure if it's worth upgrading to G11 or give up on G series all together and get my first DSLR.

I have already made up my mind a while ago to go for a DSLR, but now with G11 in the picture, it's making my decision that much harder.

Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:12 PM   #54

Well, in all fairness, the DSLR has more long term potential, providing you progressively upgrade the lenses used and add an external flash. My choice was to return the G-11 and to purchase an Olympus E-620. I am a happy camper.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:09 AM   #55
Super Moderator

I think you'll find that probably > 75% of G-series owners are people who already own thousands of dollars' worth of SLR gear and want a good P&S.

The G11 isn't really aimed at the general P&S user.For myself I wouldn't want one.

For my next small camera I will most likely be getting a Panasonic GF-1, Olympus EP-1/2 or (less likely) a Canon S90. The G11 doesn't hit any sweet spots for me.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:37 AM   #56

I consider myself a "general point and shoot" type with slight interest in learning more advanced photography, and I think the reason why most of us do end up buying more advanced point and shoot cameras and later on a DSLR is because "regular" p&s cameras aren't capable of producing as good results, even for everyday shooting.
If I was shooting outside all the time, I wouldn't care either way, but there are many times when you have to take pictures inside, or shoot sports, action etc etc and that's when these little p&s fail.

In my newbie opinion at least.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:35 AM   #57

Santa Clawz-

Your analysis in my opinion is right on target. DSLR cameras can deal with a much wider variety of photo situations than any point and shoot camera can. It is as simple as that.

However, I do believe that peripathetic was also correct in stating the the majority of G-11 users are indeed folks who also own DSLR cameras as well. The G-11 is their go anywhere camera to take when the DSLR kit, due to its larger size is out of the question.

Prices on DSLR cameras continue to decrease, so perhaps this good news for folks like yourself who want to make the switch to a DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:03 PM   #58

By the way, I have a more "technical" question. Considering that sensor size is identical in both G10 and G11, with G11 having reduced number of pixels therefore allowing for better low light shooting and less noise at higher ISO, does that mean that even at lowest ISO 80 pictures on G11 should be with slightly less noise than it's predecessor?

Last edited by SantaClawz; Dec 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:23 PM   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClawz View Post
By the way, I have a more "technical" question. Considering that sensor size is identical in both G10 and G11, with G11 having reduced number of pixels therefore allowing for better low light shooting and less noise at higher ISO, does that mean that even at lowest ISO 80 pictures on G11 should be with slightly less noise than it's predecessor?
in theory yes, but both cameras exhibit little to no noise at iso 80 in good light.

in these conditions, the G10 outperforms the G11, its 14.7mp sensor is actually one of the highest resolving sensors in a compact. but at higher ISO's the G11 is the clear winner. Not to say the G11 does bad at iso 80, quite the contrary, it does incredibly well, however its 10mp can't compete with 14.7mp G10, as one would expect at low isos.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:18 AM   #60

I see. So basically what Canon needs to do with their next G camera (if there is one) is bump the resolution back up to 14.7 and get a new and bigger sensor. That way both low light performance and outdoors at low ISO are strong.