Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
I just brought a new camera G11. Still learning status. Hope can get some inform here. I really don't understand ow to use ISO for better image. Can anyone share!!

Hi Kristy,

I'm a newbie with the G11 and manual controls. I'm better with examples than definitions but......The ISO helps with the photos over all quality/exposure (to put it very simply), ie, how it reads light. For instance, if you're outdoors and its sunny than an IS0 80 is sufficient. Likewise if you're indoors at night and the lighting is low you'd have to go to a higher ISO like 1600+, for instance. However, with a Higher ISO you get more 'noise' - the grainy effect which in some shots can look very appealing.

I don't have the sites listed but go to a search engine like 'google' and type in "photography for beginners". There are tons of sites chalk full of information and proper explinations of all the terms/functions of manual controlled photos coupled with tips of how to utilize the functions to the best of their ability. I'd also invest in a book specifically for the G11 which will be specific to the camera's functions and not confuse you.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Apr 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:27 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_khoo View Post
hi all,
sometimes when i shoot indoor or at a mall, the photos turn out
yellowish. and other time, they are ok.

can someone tell me why?

thanks.

Its probably the florescent lighting. Try putting the camera in 'P' mode - program which allows you manual control over the ISO and the White Balance. You may also have to change the AWB to reflect the fact that you are in the mall with florescents being used. If you press the middle button on the dial it will open up an L shaped list of options for you. Go to the AWB and then move/push the dial to the right to scroll through your options and make the change. Then go back and take the shot and see if it helps. It should make a difference, but some Florescent lighting has continually been problematic for me when its dimmed very low.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Apr 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:39 PM   #83

I finally made my decision and ordered the G11 for all the reasons I mentioned above. However, I plan on keeping the G9 too.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:42 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Hi Kristy,

I'm a newbie with the G11 and manual controls. I'm better with examples than definitions but......The ISO helps with the photos over all quality/exposure (to put it very simply), ie, how it reads light. For instance, if you're outdoors and its sunny than an IS0 80 is sufficient. Likewise if you're indoors at night and the lighting is low you'd have to go to a higher ISO like 1600+, for instance. However, with a Higher ISO you get more 'noise' - the grainy effect which in some shots can look very appealing.

I don't have the sites listed but go to a search engine like 'google' and type in "photography for beginners". There are tons of sites chalk full of information and proper explinations of all the terms/functions of manual controlled photos coupled with tips of how to utilize the functions to the best of their ability. I'd also invest in a book specifically for the G11 which will be specific to the camera's functions and not confuse you.
All the newbies to photography and the G11 might be interested in the Shortcourse book for the G11. I have it for my G9 and found it useful.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:19 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Its probably the florescent lighting. Try putting the camera in 'P' mode - program which allows you manual control over the ISO and the White Balance. You may also have to change the AWB to reflect the fact that you are in the mall with florescents being used. If you press the middle button on the dial it will open up an L shaped list of options for you. Go to the AWB and then move/push the dial to the right to scroll through your options and make the change. Then go back and take the shot and see if it helps. It should make a difference, but some Florescent lighting has continually been problematic for me when its dimmed very low.
but the funny thing is two shots of my kids taken on the
same location turned out one ok and the other yellowish...

now i am always on "P" and do the stuff you described.

thanks.
jim_khoo is offline   Reply With Quote