Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:27 PM   #1

Default Any Canon G-11 Users Out There?

It would appear that the changes made between Canon G-10 and G-11 models have substantially increased the camera substantially, paricularly in increasing the High ISO Capability of the G-11.

As a user, how do you feel about the performance of the Canon G-11? Is the improvement really substantial? Or, is it what you would expect in the changes from one model year to another?

Share some of your photo samples with us , please. Thanks for your help.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I have not personally used this camera. However, I did pretty extensive research on it when it came out. From real life images posted by many users, both controlled tests and everyday use, the high-iso capabilities of this camera are significantly improved over previous models, and some of the best I have seen from a small sensor camera.

At low ISO's it is no better than the G10 and actually the increased resolution of the G10 outresolves (very very slightly) it at base ISO.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:47 PM   #3

Dustin

Your analysis is right on target. That is sort of what I am expecting. I just felt that it would be good if we could muster some discussion on this top of the line compact camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:01 PM   #4

Hi there Folks-

Perhaps I can move this discussion forward a bit. My G-11 arrived this morning. I was surprised. It is actually smaller in physical size that I had anticipated. I ordered this camera because after doing a lot of research and reading, I wanted to see what a real top of the line compact point and shoot camera could produce in terms of image quality.

There is just 5X of optical zoom on the lens, so you have to be in agreement with the old adage that some of your needed zooming is going to be done with your own feet.

I found myself pleasantly surprised with the image quality. It is very good, and approaching that of an entry level DSLR camera. That is rather amazing considering the physical size of the Canon G-11 camera.

I had purchased one of the new, small, Canon EX-270 external flash units, several weeks ago, to use with my other Canon cameras. Because the G-11 has a very useful hot shoe, I was eager to mount it on the G-11 camera. The flash was perfectly sized for the G-11./ The balance was excellent, the light output just right, and it seems to be sort of a perfect marriage between camera and flash.

Today was only an initial look at the G-11, I will be posting more in the next few days, but I was very impressed. I have attached a photo with the G-11 side by side with the Canon XS, the entry level DSLR camera in the Canon camera line so you can visualize the actual size..

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:28 PM   #5

Well, Folks-

It is time for some photo samples. Here is the sunset from last night with a storm approaching.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:11 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Sarah,

no offense intended, just trying to help here. but i think you are doing something wrong here. this photo shows alot more noise than ANY examples of ISO 800 from the G11. One thing is the underexposure. but there is something going on between the camera and when you post a photo on these forums. I hv noticed it on many pictures you have posted here. something in the resizing possibly. are you heavily cropping?

here are some examples i quickly found
http://www.kwaphoto.com/ (see the G11 high iso tests)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4025250037/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurencekim/4056468728/
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:48 PM   #7

Dustin-

Thanks for the input. I used Photoshop Elements to re-size the photo. Yes, the photo was indeed underexposed as the sun was already below the horizon.

As a cross check I did a ISO 1600 shot at the Drug Store today as I was waiting for Bradley's prescription.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 13, 2009, 9:49 AM   #8

Dustin

The website is really slow and touchy, so I will attempt a new post. here is a new ISO 800 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:45 PM   #9

And here is the replacement sunset that looks, oh so much better. Things are working better because I now understand the Canon G-11 a whole lot better.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:22 PM   #10

Hi Sarah --

Beautiful sunset. I hope you enjoy your new G-11.

As you may remember I purchased an S90 which I understand uses the same sensor. I haven't had as much time as I would like to play around with it and I am still learning, but do have a number of pictures taken in various conditions which I could post or link to if you and/or others are interested.

Here's one that was taken in Times Square in NY in Auto mode (just a few days after I had the camera).
Attached Images

Last edited by Jazzer251; Nov 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote