Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:48 AM   #21

You guys have any dust behind your LCD? turn it off & look at it under direct sunlight or use a flashlight. Mine is less than a week old & I've already noticed a few, just wondering if its normal or if I'm the only one. Not a deal breaker but still annoying, still an awesome camera though.
droeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:14 PM   #22

droeun-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Yes, I also had a bit of dust under the LCD, as well, though it did not affect camera performance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:28 PM   #23

I have one too, and I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Welcome to a brand new thread. After beginning our thread on the Canon G-11 it soon became obvious that we ought to investigate the Canon S-90 as well. So that is exactly what we will do in this thread.

My Canon S-90 arrived this morning, November 17th. I charged the battery and after installing the battery, and taking the S-90 in hand I was immediately taken with the samll size of the S-90. My Goodness, that smallness is almost addictive!

As you can see from the attached photo, even the size comparison between the G-11 and the S-90, so you can imagine that sitting the S-90 side by side with a DSLR camera like the Caon 50D or the Nikon D-90 would very dramatic indeed!

Sarah Joyce
doremon313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:11 PM   #24

Hi... I am considering the S90 and would like some feedback if you are able.

I will use it primarily for events and gatherings (mostly indoors, some picnic events, day and night) and want something with high quality photos that I may enlarge (have a canon i9900 printer).

I've had a number of canon elf cameras and absolutely love the ability to carry in my pocket and have the camera ready to go size. What interests me with the S90 is it looks like a step up in picture quality (especially low light) while maintaining the ease of use size.... I will use it on auto 85%-95% of the time. When I need it, the manual would be very cool.

You mention very briefly distortion at wide angle (which is usually what I shoot to get the picture in the moment) and mention returning the camera because of it.... I was wondering if you could provide more information on the distortion and possibly post examples.

As I get older and realize how often I actually do snap quick, impromptu pictures, and find the joy in that. I want an improved camera to do that... I'm willing to pay almost double the cost of the average elf to step up in quality of the image on a consistent basis, but I'm not sure if there are issues I'm not understanding here.

For outside, framed and/or zoomed pictures... well thats another camera.

Thanks for any input.
oneblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:43 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Right now, the Canon S90 is the most responsive pocketable camera on the market. And offers the best image quality, especially in low-light conditions. It would be a huge step-up from any of the Elph cameras.

Unfortunately, with most compacts, the wide end of the zoom offers a significant amount of distortion. The s90 is no different. However, the jpeg engine does a pretty good job of correcting this distortion.

Like anything, there is always some compromise. In most situations the distortion is corrected more than sufficiently enough to overlook it as a serious detractor.

An you can always zoom in just a little bit. The distortion is really only a problem at the very widest point.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:02 AM   #26

This thing is pretty impressive in low light:

Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:07 AM   #27

doreun-

Is the Raptor something like a Mag Light? How would you compare the light output of the Raptor to the Mag light?

Here is a Las Vegas S-90n shot from a recent trip there.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
doreun-

Is the Raptor something like a Mag Light? How would you compare the light output of the Raptor to the Mag light?
Sarah Joyce
Just like cameras, flashlights have also evolved a lot, haha. This one uses a Cree LED which never needs replacement and is about 7-8 times brighter than a 2d mag. It's also regulated which means the brightness never drops, even when the batteries get low on juice. Since mags are direct driven & not regulated the output will diminish over time. Here are some cool beamshots someone posted on CPF:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=253341
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by droeun View Post
Just like cameras, flashlights have also evolved a lot, haha. This one uses a Cree LED which never needs replacement and is about 7-8 times brighter than a 2d mag. It's also regulated which means the brightness never drops, even when the batteries get low on juice. Since mags are direct driven & not regulated the output will diminish over time. Here are some cool beamshots someone posted on CPF:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=253341
Now that's a strobe if there ever was one!
Nice pix's on the site.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:13 PM   #30

Hello Sarah,

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but why is it that you returned both the G11 and S90? I have my eye on both of these cameras as my budget has changed and allows it. Were you not satisfied with both of the cameras for their price or just their performance alone?
CHuynh is offline   Reply With Quote