Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 5, 2010, 10:39 AM   #31

I have jusdt bought a Canon S 90. What I do not like, is that it is very easy to turn the exposure comp+whell with noticing ir. Has any solved this problem.
Labbegutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 AM   #32

I'm interested in an S90, but have two deciding factors in the purchasing decision.

1. My present camera (a Canon A80) eats batteries, especially on flash. How is battery life with the S90?

2. The A80 takes forever to take a picture between when you press the shutter, and the camera collects the image. By the time I push the button, the subject moves, and the image is worthless. How is the time lag between pushing the button, and getting the picture?

Thanks
Rog
'
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:00 PM   #33

Labbegutt-

www.lensmateonline.com has a rim that prevent accidental turning of the Exposure Compensation wheel.

rogersmith-

The s-90 uses a lithium-ion battery and it does over 250 photos on a charge. The S-90 has minimal shutter lag, approximately .2 second.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:05 PM   #34

labbegut-

www.lensmateonline.com has a protective rim that prevents accidental movement of the Exposure Compensation wheel.

rogersmith

The Canon S-90 uses a lithium-ion battery that with a full charge can take 250 photos. There is minimal shutter lag on the S-90, roughly .2 second.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:13 PM   #35

Default Impressions based on several months with the S90

I've been a professional photographer since the late Pleistocene era, perhaps a little later. I bought the S90, my first point/shoot, on reports of its image quality, fast wide lens, and the fact that it covers the focal lengths I use most in everyday photography. Here's a brief summary of what I've learned.
First, attach a brightly colored lanyard to the wrist strap. That way you can find the easily-overlooked little black camera, and when you have it in a shirt pocket, it won't fall out onto the ground when you bend over. It is silly of Canon not to include a full neck strap; most of these cameras will spend a lot of time in (and falling out of) shirt pockets.
I added the aluminum grip sold on the internet and like it.
My only real complaint with image quality is, as many note, wide-angle distortion. I shoot mostly RAW images, and found that if I open and save them with the Canon software, distortion is fairly well corrected. But if I open them with other software I frequently use---Photoshop, Picasa 3, Irfanview---the warping is really obnoxious. Since one of the main reasons many of us buy this camera is that fast wide lens capability, at least the initial loading of images from the camera should be with the Canon software.
The S90 is not a substitute for an SLR, it is more of a modern-day "Leica" substitute, one that can be held at arms length for different perspectives. It is my first camera without any kind of viewfinder to look into, instead of at, but that's fine. There IS a different connection between photographer and subject when there's nothing between your eye and theirs, as many of us discovered decades ago when we used both viewfinder and waist-level finder cameras. Putting a camera in front of your face and aiming it at someone like a weapon really is intimidating for some people.
Overall, a delightful little camera I expect to use for many years.
agiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:15 PM   #36

agiyo-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Many thanks for the S-90 mini review. As a S-90 user myself I find your comments right on target.

Sarah Joyce