Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:45 PM   #1

Default Any Canon S-90 Users Out There?

Welcome to a brand new thread. After beginning our thread on the Canon G-11 it soon became obvious that we ought to investigate the Canon S-90 as well. So that is exactly what we will do in this thread.

My Canon S-90 arrived this morning, November 17th. I charged the battery and after installing the battery, and taking the S-90 in hand I was immediately taken with the samll size of the S-90. My Goodness, that smallness is almost addictive!

As you can see from the attached photo, even the size comparison between the G-11 and the S-90, so you can imagine that sitting the S-90 side by side with a DSLR camera like the Caon 50D or the Nikon D-90 would very dramatic indeed!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

congrats sarah,

hope you are enjoying your new acquisition! i am particularly interested in this model myself as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:53 PM   #3

The size comparison between the Canon S-90 and the Canon G-11 is even more dramatic when viewed from overheard, as the attached photo shows.

I have read on different forums and that some folks feel that the design of the S-90 is sort of "slippery," meaning that it might be easy to drop. While I have only read of one case where the S-90 was dropped. It was scary. The S-90 dropped 4.5 feet on to a hardwood floor. The good news is that the S-90 was OK, and showed no ill effects. The S-90 has continued to operate normally for more than a month now, so I guess we can label the user, "very luck," indeed.

The moral of the story remain however is more serious. The S-90 comes with a wrist strap, and I would suggest you install and use that wrist strap from day#1 going forward.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:55 PM   #4

Yes, congratulations Sarah. As you know, I'm really enjoying mine. I'll be interested to see in the end whether you choose to keep the S90, the G11 or both (or maybe neither?).

Enjoy the testing!
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:18 PM   #5

Many thanks to Dustin and Jazzer-

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have also been looking forward to beginning this thread as well. We will try to cover a lot of details and we also hope we we see photos posted by our viewers as well.

The LCD screen is very high quality with 230,000 pixels, making it sharp and very easy to use. The re-fresh rate is fast which seems appropiate, in as much as you have to use the LCD for everything on the S-90.

Traditionally, I always take the first photo on any new camera of my husband of 52 years, Bradley. Thank Goodness he, is always very patient with me always taking photos. So you will find Bradley's photo attached to this post. it is right out of the camera with nothing more that cropping and re-sizing.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Many thanks to Dustin and Jazzer-

The LCD screen is very high quality with 230,000 pixels, making it sharp and very easy to use.
Hi Sarah -- I agree the LCD screen is very nice. Actually, unless I am mistaken I believe it is 461,000 pixels, which is considerably higher resolution than most.

Sorry, please proceed ...
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:31 PM   #7

My next little project was to take a photo of a red or pink rose, to see how the S-90 handles the red/pink color. The S-90 is still in its default color, the vivid feature has not been used.

I was pleased with how the S-90 handled the rose.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
My next little project was to take a photo of a red or pink rose, to see how the S-90 handles the red/pink color. The S-90 is still in its default color, the vivid feature has not been used.

I was pleased with how the S-90 handled the rose.

Sarah Joyce
That's a very nice shot Sarah! Crisp and great natural color.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:44 PM   #9

Thanks Hiro-

I am pleased with the color of the S-90 camera and its performance thus far of the S-90. This photo sample was done to test the macro or close-up capability and the ability of the S-90 to dampen the flash output to achieve a correct exposure.

Once again the S-90 passed on both counts producing a nice sharp photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:00 PM   #10

I had the slave flash out early in the afternoon for other photos, so I decided to attach the S-90 and to give it a try. The Slave I used was the DigiSlave-3000, and it effectively gave me an increased flash range up to 23 feet.

I was pleased with the test, and even more flash range is possible because I bounced the slave flash off the ceiling.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images