Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:53 PM   #1

Default An Amazing Digicam Worth Investigating

One of my special interests are point and shoot cameras, or digicams. Everyone is familiar with the new "stars" such as the Canon S-90 and G-11 cameras. However, we sometimes don't pay much attention, or gloss over, the "lesser lights" in a product line such as Canon's.

When I was recently scanning through www.pbase.com looking at the image quality of various cameras, I stumbled on the surprising image quality produced by the Canon SX-110. It actually was better than the newer SX-120's image quality. In addition, with some addition research, I determined that it also produces rather amazing image quality at numerically high ISO settings. That is something that that often gets overlooked in digital cameras at this price point.

So I has started the thread to take a little better look at the SX-110, its image quality, and the functionality it offers. Our first photo sample is a typical Fall Foilage photo. Noce the sharpness, and colors.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:36 PM   #2

Often times, point and shoot cameras are not perceived as very capable at high ISO settings. If that is the case for yourself, then the Canon SX-110 will surprise you. Not only does the SX-110 have 10X optical zoom with a fairly powerful flash good out to 15 to 16 feet, but it seems to thrive at numerically high ISO settings.

Here is an example of a SX-110 at ISO 800 that is very impressive. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3

Hi there, Folks-

Well, today we have a wonderful close-up from the amazing Canon SX-110 for you.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:29 AM   #4

I recently purchased the SX110 IS feeling the need for a small zoom camera to take skiing, vacations, etc.. My other point and shoot is a Fuji F50 that although it takes good pictures is only 3x zoom. As price was a serious consideration I looked at and shot the Kodak Z915, Kodak Z950, Canon SX120 IS and the Canon SX110 IS. Although not a DSLR, I own the Pentax Km, I was very surprised at the image quality of the SX110. In addition to full manual controls, the camera has many other adjustments that are a help to getting good pictures. I was very leery of trying to use a 10x zoom with a small camera without an optical viewfinder. The answer for me was to up the ISO and get a fast shutter speed. It works. Below is an ISO 800 shot of my local bookstore at dusk. Light pass through Noiseware. Darn good. I purchased mine refurbished at B&H for $169 and they have more. It's not a DSLR, but I consider it very good bang for the buck.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5

pboerger-

Thanks for your post. We both took the same route. I also purchased a Canon demo fro B&H and have been pleasantly surprised by how well the Canon SX-100 does with very good image quality and a nice assortment of features.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:38 AM   #6

I have used Cannon S-90. And i was one of the cool gadgets that i found. SX110 is the next thing that captured my eye. On of my coulige used it to take party shot in our office. And thus i became fan of it.

Can you reveal more in SX110.
Regards,
Kristina
kristinacallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:31 AM   #7

kristina-

I realize that English is not your native language, and your post is somewhat confusing. However, I think you are asking for more information on the SX-110.

The Canon SX-110 has been replaced by the SX-120. There is actually very little difference between the SX-110 and the SX-120 with the exception that the new SX-120 has a built-in flash unit that is a bit more powerful.

The SX-110/SX-120 offer 10X optical zoom a good LCD, as the camera has no viewfinder, and is basically a very solid all around performer. It is also able to capture very good photos at ISO 800 which is handy.

I originally purchased the canon S-90, but returned it as I felt that there was too much lens distortion at the wide angle position on its zoom lens which only offered 3.8X optical zoom. I replaced my S-90 with the Canon SX-110 and have been very happy with the SX-110's performance. It is a very amazing camera for the price. i have attached a close-up or macro photo from the SX-120 camera.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
One of my special interests are point and shoot cameras, or digicams. Everyone is familiar with the new "stars" such as the Canon S-90 and G-11 cameras. However, we sometimes don't pay much attention, or gloss over, the "lesser lights" in a product line such as Canon's.

When I was recently scanning through www.pbase.com looking at the image quality of various cameras, I stumbled on the surprising image quality produced by the Canon SX-110. It actually was better than the newer SX-120's image quality. In addition, with some addition research, I determined that it also produces rather amazing image quality at numerically high ISO settings. That is something that that often gets overlooked in digital cameras at this price point.

So I has started the thread to take a little better look at the SX-110, its image quality, and the functionality it offers. Our first photo sample is a typical Fall Foilage photo. Noce the sharpness, and colors.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Was this photos the full image reduced for web or a 100% crop? If it's the former then there is no way of discerning image quality.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:05 PM   #9

Hi there, Mark-

That image, as posted, is a 100% crop. That is what makes it pretty impressive.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:23 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi there, Mark-

That image, as posted, is a 100% crop. That is what makes it pretty impressive.

Sarah Joyce
That works then. Do you have the full photo as it looks like a nice place.

Is the 2nd photo also a 100% crop?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote