Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:43 PM   #1

Default E18 Error message on CANON DIGITAL CAMERAS

E18 error message is an annoying problem on canon cameras.
Be careful before buying a Canon camera, lots of their models have this problem A60-A70-S40-S45-S50-NEW S400 ...
I bought a S50 and 2 days later happened this E18 error message while trying to take a picture with optical zoom at max position pointing at a clear landscape.
Zoom stay locked, heard several bip noises and screen display twinking in purple color then after a few seconds, and E18 error is displaying in the left corner of the screen.
No possibility to retract the zoom, the only way is to remove the battery for several minutes and repower the cam to reinitialize the internal soft to retract the zoom.
have seen on lots of website about this error, and someone said that dust could be the cause of this defect. but in my case, it's a NEW CAM, just taken out from the original box!!!
For me, it's not only a defect but IT IS A SOFTWARE BUG

Canon camera give very good detail image but becareful before buying...
Has anyone encounter this E18 error on Canon A80 ? because i want to buy this one...
Some links to about this error

http://www.camerareview.com/template...?digital_id=87

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~e18/emails.html

http://www.eviltangerine.com/e18/E18_repair_guide.htm

best regards
Digimonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:41 PM   #2

Default Not Yet

I have had my A80 about 3 weeks so far and have not experienced the E18 error. Canon redesigned the play/record switch for the A80 and they redesigned the Lens because of the swivel LCD. I hope in redesigning the lens they took the E18 error into consideration. I have not found any information concerning the A80 and anyone experiencing the dreaded E18 error either before or after I bought my A80. But I still wonder about if sooner or later if someone will report it. Canon certainly cannot say the fixed the E18 problem that the A70 has on the A80 because then they would be admitting that it is a design fault built into the A70. I hope they did, but I do not think anyone knows outside of Canon's design engineers and executives.
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:35 PM   #3

I've wriiten to canon, but they've never answer me.
In spite of the good quality images from their cameras, i think i'll buy another one : the last NIKON COOLPIX 3700 seems to suit to me.

best regards
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimonk
I've wriiten to canon, but they've never answer me.
The first thing I do when I get a defective product of any kind is to return it to where I bought it from and request an exchange or a refund.

If I email about a product that is past the return period and do not get a reply within 48 hours then I phone them.

I would not bother to write a letter, I hope you meant that you emailed them...

Enjoy your new Nikon! The main thing is that you get a camera that works and of course that you are happy with.
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:31 PM   #5

I got this problem this weekend. changing the sd card and batteries fixed the problem. I didn't lose any images. just kicked myself for not bringing back up.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:53 AM   #6

Default Errors

I've used an S200 for over a year, and currently own and use a G3 and an S50, and have NEVER seen an error 118 or any other message other than the dreaded "CF Card Full"
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 2:14 AM   #7

I got this error again. GRRRRRR. I'll be taking mine to the shop tomorrow.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:22 PM   #8

After thinking alot, i finally bought the A80 last week.(with a good insurance in case of breakdown...)
Quality image is good and fine, very surprising with 1600x1200 mode at everage quality because file size is not so big and quality is better comparing to other cameras.
Taken photos in dark conditions(night picture), with very good result...
200 photos taken in 4 days (all scenes) but missing clear conditions shots.(sunny)

So i'm happy with my new toy...
Sorry for you honey, i've taken an insurance in case of breakdown under one year, i'll be given money back integraly to buy another camera...that's the reason i bought the A80)

regards
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:42 PM   #9

I have a A60 for about 2 weeks and yet haven't faced with that problem, and i hope i wont suffer it in the future..

This is really annoying.. But upto now, A60 is a great cam! I love it anyway..
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:02 AM   #10

oh by the way, I fixed mine w/o taking to the shop. My lens was crooked. So I turned the camera off and on and slightly turned the lens to make it straight.