Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Canon A70 VS Canon A80

I am looking to replace a broken kodak 4.0 and am looking at getting a better reviewed camera. I don't think I ever actually enlarged any prints with the kodak, but from what I understand with 8x10 is possible as long as you have at least a 3.0.....

The prices I can currently get for both are as follows:

Canon A70 230.00

Canon A80 329.00

Thanks for your

Charles
chas1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:37 AM   #2

Did you have a question?
flylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:34 AM   #3

A70: 3MP, smaller, non moveable LCD screen, no custom shooting modes.

A80; 4MP moveable LCD screen, 2 custom shooting modes, bigger sensor than the A70.

If you were asking can you print out a decent 8 X 10 from a 3MP camera, the answer is yes. If you crop the hell out of it and, you do this on a consistent level, I would lean towards the 4MP camera.

I hope this helped.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:18 AM   #4

Default Question,,,,

I guess my question would be which camera would be the better value. For the price, do you guys think the A70 is the better deal, or is it better to go ahead and spend the extra 100.00 and get the A80.

Thanks

Charles
chas1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:02 AM   #5

To chas1025; I own the a80 and have taken about 1300 pixs so far . I just love the flip lcd. and the extra meg. it has over the a70.I think its well worth the $100.extra for the a80 and i think people are going to see that the a80 is a great camera and at a very fair price.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:55 AM   #6

Hi,
I just bought both the A70 (for my daughter) and the
A80 for myself. Although both are nice, i do like the A80
movavable LCD screen. I also think the buttons "feel"
a little better quality. I think the A80 is worth perhaps
the $100 extra but not much more.

My only question would be on lens performance. I haven't
seen an A80 review of chromatic aberration yet. i suspect
it is slightly worse than the A70 with the lens redesign but
the
pictures I've taken so far have been good.

Mark
markc1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:33 AM   #7

I think the movie mode picture size for the A80 is one quarter the size of the A70, dont know if that would bother you
wilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:13 PM   #8

Default Re: Question,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1025
I guess my question would be which camera would be the better value. For the price, do you guys think the A70 is the better deal, or is it better to go ahead and spend the extra 100.00 and get the A80.

Thanks

Charles
I will lead you to a thread I participated in a couple weeks ago concerning the A80 over the A70. I would buy an A80 again as it suits my needs fine.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6534699

I am just a hardware junkie...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 2:25 PM   #9

I don't think the 'extra megapixel' should be a deciding factor for you... judge it based on other criteria... such as the rotating LCD and the larger physical size of the sensor... which appears to give it less noise especially in less well lit scenes.

The reason I say to ignore the 'extra megapixel' is because, well, there ISN'T one. The A70 is a 3.14 megapixel camera and the A80 is a 3.9 megapixel camera. The maximum resolution for each camera is 2048 x 1536 vs 2272 x 1704.

Saying '3mp vs 4mp' leads you to believe there is a 30% increase in resolution... but there isn't. If you look at the relative vertical and horizontal resolution, you're only dealing with an increase of about 10%.

I'm not criticizing the 80... I like it a lot. But the only significant difference for me is the LCD, and it's somewhat offset by the loss of the high resolution video mode (which admittedly, I haven't used yet on my A70). Personally, if both had been available when I bought my A70, I would still have gone with the 70 and pocketed the difference, or spent it on something more useful such as the telephoto lens.

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:44 PM   #10

Default Canon A70 VS Canon A80

I got to choose when both models were available so I do not have to try to decide which I would have bought in hindsight. I started my search for a new digital camera after the A80 was available, a friend borrowed and damaged my Nikon digital and as we had agreed if they broke it, they bought it. I read about some people having problems with the A70's play/record switch http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15131 and about the E18 error [do a search for "e18 error" (without the quotes) over at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1010 ].

The redesigned play/record switch I consider a benefit as I think it is less likely to fail then the one on the A70. I know Canon redesigned the lens on the A80 in order to fit the new LCD in the camera. My hopes are that Canon took the E18 error into consideration when they redesigned the lens but that cannot be confirmed or denied.

Since I am not one to stick a camera in my pocket the slightly larger size of the A80 was of no concern to me at all.

The LCD on the A80 takes a second or two to open and close but it is much less likely to be scratched when you are taking it in and out of the case.

More metal was used in case of the A80. I personally like the feel of the A80 in my hands over the A70. I do not like the way the S45/S50 or S400 fit my hands and the G3/G5 was bigger than I wanted and I feel that I would not use the added features of the G series. By the time, if ever, I need more features than the A80 offers there should be a new model out that is better and probably smaller than the current G series.

I am not concerned with the video mode just as I would not be concerned about the still mode of a digital camcorder. If you want the best results use the proper equipment in the first place.

I am a gadget nut and I like the idea of the swivel LCD. The LCD is the same size on both the A70 and A80. The LCD on the A70 seems larger than the LCD on the A80 because of the design differences. Waist level shots, overhead shots and sneaky shots using the swivel LCD on the A80 are an advantage.

The A70 is said to have a slightly better LCD but I personally have no problems with the LCD on the A80.

I know myself well enough that if I had bought the A70 I would have wished I had chose the A80 instead. I personally would have chosen the A80 over the A70 even if they had the same sized CCD (that is both were 3.14 megapixels 2048 x 1536) and the price difference was exactly the same as it is. I do not think the A80 is actually a better camera than the A70. Both are closely related but I personally appreciate what the A80 offers over the A70.

Go to a camera store and play with both of them and then decide if the extras that the A80 offers over the A70 are worth the price difference to you. The online price of the A80 currently seems to be running around $380 including shipping. You are the final judge if the added features are worth more money to you or not. No store in my town had an A80 in stock when I bought but I did get to physically check out an A70 at the local Target store before I ordered my A80 online. Buy the camera that most closely fits your current and anticipated needs with the mindset that you will be upgrading in a few years. I think that they A80 will fit my own needs for the next 2 to 4 years as well as any other digital camera currently made. I would be very disappointed in technology if the next product cycle(s) do not offer something vastly superior to current models but I do not think that will happen.

I would buy a A80 again.