Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:29 PM   #11

Frys store has the XSi for $549 with 18-55mm lens. price good through next Thursday.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:14 PM   #12

Shutterbug74

What do you plan on doing with your G11 when and if you get a DSLR? I am in a similar boat as you, only I have a G10.

btw, waiting till spring, the prices will go back up, now is the time to buy, with holiday sales etc.

Last edited by SantaClawz; Dec 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM.
SantaClawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:15 PM   #13

double post, please delete.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:23 AM   #14

Keep both, I keep a P&S in my camera bag next to my dslr. When I am out shooting and walking around I keep it in my pocket
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:32 PM   #15

Hi Santa

I came along the G11 because I had an issue with my SD880is under warranty which Canon offered to replace at their cost. So, I negotiated to pay a little extra (the price point difference) to upgrade to the G11 as I'd owned other Elph series cameras but never paid much attention to the G-Series due to sheer ignorance of knowing what options were around. When I began researching the SD980is which was originally offered that's when I came across the G11 reviews and decided that was the camera for me.

You and I seem to be the same....we like taking pictures, want to tool around with more sophisticated manual controls but ARE learning how to do this. The G11 is fantastic for this. It has the manual controls providing the learning curve I want while I am still able to take it in my purse (or coat pocket) and shoot when I want without worrying about lense attachments. Plus, it does have the automatic controls which I do use and fine a very useful tool when comparing my settings vs the auto settings.

I will eventually, at some point, get the Canon XSi because many attachments I may want (like external flash and remote control...which I'm just waiting on) will be interchangeable. Don't forget that while a DSLR has more capabilities because of the lenses, you still have to buy the lenses and right now, my skill level and knowledge base is still very ameteurish so until I know what sort of DSLR shooting I'll be doing, I'm holding off buying it for the moment....plus, who know's what my "Santa" may bring

I plan on the G11 being my "everywhere" and primary camera because of its versitility and the XSi my camera for when I plan what I want to shoot....not "professional shooting" but some prethinking before hand where the G11 might not quite get the range I'm looking for in a shot.

Having both I think is an advantage. Overall, I am VERY happy with the G11's quality of photos (some are DSLR equivalent...or as close as you can get with a P&S) and the controls are excellent. I'm having lots of fun.

By your already having the G10...and I presume its still functioning, I am not sure if the G11 would be the best option. It is better at lowlight shooting than the G10 and reportedly has a slight advantage over the G10 but I think if I were in your shoes, I'd get the DSLR. To my mind, there are differences between the G10 and G11 but not enough to have them both.

Hope that helps.

PS:....yep, I know the prices will go back up *sigh* but I've spent too much money on my daughter's Xmas gifts to be able to buy the DSLR at the moment. Budgeting at present takes priority...the joy of being a parent....you always come second to your kids

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Dec 20, 2009 at 2:52 PM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:09 PM   #16

I always liked G series Canons, I actually used to own G2 a few years ago.

I still wonder if G11 would be enough of an improvement for me to buy one and then maybe try to sell my G10 somewhere, I was almost set in buying a DSLR, even posted a question in another forum about different kinds of lenses I was going to get with it, but G series Canons are so much fun to use and being able to put one in my coat pocket or small carry bag is just so much better than hauling around a big DSLR...

Btw, you are right we are the same, same kind of interests when it comes to cameras and shooting in general. I like to take pictures of everything, useless stuff as well, yet I am not advanced enough to really do some artsy type photos.

Last edited by SantaClawz; Dec 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:47 PM   #17

Then it sounds to me like you've made up your mind but just want a reassurance that the G11 is living up to reports Yes, I take the G11 everywhere and take pictures of all sorts of silly things exploring different speeds, etc and am having a blast.

I've loved it as I've said. If you like the G-Series that much, will have the camera for a long time (which it sounds like you will) and will try to sell yours (you probably could on something like Craigslist, etc if priced right....or kijiji - just noticed your a fellow Torontian) then I'd say the G11 sounds like your camera and you'll probably be happier with it for the moment.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Dec 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote