Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Default Includes 2 lenses, 1855 mm and 75-300 mm lenses

Please forgive my ignorance here.....

I have the Canon G11 and am still learning with it and I am very pleased thus far. I by no means have mastered the camera or the manual controls. However, I was looking at the Canon Rebel XSi for a future possibility down the road into the world of SLR. When and IF, I get an SLR, if there's Flashes compatible with the G11, I think that'd be the way to go for me plus, I'm happy with Canon's camera's and the review from Steve's on the Xsi. I'd be look at entry level and I'd more than likely stay there for sometime. Between the 2 cameras I'd be more than set for my needs....taking pics of outdoor landscapes and my daughter along with indoor shots of family get togethers (no sports shots yet).

So, I've noticed that Walmart (in Canada) has a bundle with these 2 lenses. My question is what are the capabilities of the lenses. Also, I've noticed some (at a slightly higher cost) with the EF- before lens description. What on earth is EF?

Again, you'll have to forgive my ignorance.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

all of the Canon EOS flashes are compatible with the G11.

the 75-300 lens in that wal-mart kit is quite bad.

better to go with the bundles that include the 55-250 IS, which is a much, much better lens and has image stabilization. such as this kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:23 PM   #3

amazon.com has the best deal on Canon products lately with the $200 instant off discount. In fact, I bought my XSi with 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm) for $633 shipped and is about $120 less than bpphoto.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

nice price on that kit WCKSer, good find!

Shutterbug- about forgot. EF stands for "electro-focus" and is the lens mount used for all Canon EOS autofocus cameras, including digital EOS cameras. EF-S is their designation for mounts that only work on the APS-C sized digital slrs, such as the Rebel series, the XXD series and the 7d.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:20 PM   #5

Thank you both for your feedback....it's a huge help. Unless "Santa" buys the SLR for me, I probably will wait a little bit into the Spring although the price from Amazon is awfully tempting
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6

Default Canon XSi plus 2 good lenses

Shutterbug,...

I don't know how far you are into Canada but Costco in the states is selling the Canon XSi with the basic kit lens of 28-55mm IS, plus the 55-250mm IS zoom lens for about $750. The basic XSi with the 28-55mm IS lens is only $599. This package has two good IS lenses.

Here is the link to there web site. You can also order over the internet but I'm not sure about the shipping to Canada.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...9|83&N=4040592 4294967258&Mo=10&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Pri ce|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

They also have all kinds of offers for Nikon cameras plus their lenses.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:14 AM   #7

Thanks Trigger1937, I looked at our Costco and the lenses are slightly different which I'd be ok with however the price (which includes a Canon printer) is 989.00 before taxes which is more than I'd be willing to part with at the moment. However, I truly appreciate the heads up and I'll keep my eye on Costco. I didn't even think to check there.....
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:08 PM   #8

go with the ef-s 55-250 it is a better lens then the ef 75-300. Adorama with the 2 lens kit for 690.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:42 PM   #9

I was at Costco earlier this week. They have the XSi combo deal with 2 lenses, a 4 gb SD card and a Canon camera bag for $699. Pretty good deal but you have to pay sales tax.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:47 PM   #10

I would check the speed class of the 4gb chip, at long burst rate if it is not class 4 or better you will notice allot of lag time waiting on the buffer. If the package is a class 2 sdhc, you would want to upgrade right away.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote