Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:58 PM   #1

Default Canon G11 and S90 reviews live

Just a heads up to our Canon followers, we've posted our in-depth reviews of their versatile PowerShot Duo, the G11 and S90.

Overall, I have to say I was very pleased with both models, and would love to own each of them; especially the S90

Canon PowerShot S90

Canon PowerShot G11
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Thanks Billy,

I am sure many many people been waiting for these reviews, hot topics around here!

I agree, I find both cameras very interesting, and would also love to own both. but for all practicality, the S90 would probably be the best companion to my DSLR kit.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:47 PM   #3

I'm in the same boat, and since the S90 offers so many of the same options as the G11, it makes it an even easier choice for me. I own the G5 and G6, with the latter being one of my absolute favorite cameras ever made. So, the G11 is also very tempting.

For me, in the end it breaks down to size.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:35 PM   #4

Thank you soooo much for the G11 Review. I already own one but was interested to see what you all had to say about it. After reading your review and having started playing with the camera (along with searching the net all hrs of the night for photography tips and such) I'm even more relieved to have the camera. It's been terrific thus far and I'm definitely getting better results with my shots from everything I've been learning which I wouldn't have explored with a regular P&S without the manual controls.

The only downsize, my husband now thinks he's a Photography Widow since that's all I seem to be focused on

Either around Christmas or in the Spring I plan on getting the Canon XSi (also in part due to "Steve's Review"). However, the G11 will ALWAYS be in my purse and will be my primary camera if and when I get the DSLR. For me its the perfect size to carry around allowing for pictures on the fly while I test the manual functions.

I love everything about this site as its been tremendously helpful from your reviews and other photographers feedback! P.S....Also really like the photos posted per day. All of them are inspirational for me.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Billy,

One thing I wanted to get your opinion on after using both is the RAW shooting performance.

The G11 review, it mentioned a con being the sluggish performance during RAW shooting, while on the S90 you said it only slowed down slightly. However when I look at the numbers, the RAW shooting performance does not seem different.

Is that because of a gut feeling, the G11 just felt slower, something that the numbers don't convey, or because the G11 was expected to do better with the RAW performance than the diminutive S90?

Thanks! and great reviews, I enjoyed reading both immensely.
-Dustin
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:24 AM   #6

Dustin,

The G11 comment was because of the fact that it was slower than the G10. See the below statements taken from each review:

G10: "The shot to shot delay in RAW mode averaged about 2.3 seconds between shots, while Continuous mode allowed me to capture 10 frames in about 11.1 seconds (0.9fps), which is quite impressive when you consider these are huge ~16MB files."

G11: "Using RAW mode will slow the camera down, as it has to process much larger file sizes (~10MB or more each). The shot to shot delay in RAW mode ranged between 2.7 - 3.2 seconds between shots, while Continuous slowed to 10 frames in about 17.2. (0.6fps)"

The G11 is processing smaller files, however it's taking longer than the G10.

While the S90's RAW shot-to-shot times were similar to the G11 (about 3 seconds), it was still able to squeeze off 0.9fps in continuous mode. I felt for such a small camera, this was impressive.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Super Moderator

ok, thanks Billy, I didn't go back to the G10 review. That is kind of odd though, as you say it is processing a smaller file.

and yes, i agree, the S90 is pretty impressive for such a small kit.