Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info! Wow... for some reason, I expected a lot more from cameras... (Especially since an artist I know says they capture what you see perfectly...)

I'm still seeing the grainy texture on the pic I took outside (in the bushes, at least... it's not apparent in light or highly-textured areas...) even at that size. It really bothers me...

Last edited by Electrictypewriter; Dec 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Electrictypewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Super Moderator

The results look about right for a camera in that class. I have a Panasonic TZ5 which I use if space is too limited for a dSLR and this is is a similar amount of noise.

The problem is consumers think more MP is better so manufacturers have to keep up with the trend, however a 5MP camera would be able to do a better job for most peoples printing needs and have far reduced noise. No one would likely buy a 5MP camera due to the 'lower' specification even if they could have better results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:55 PM   #13

Should I return my camera and get a 5MP one, then? I'd rather have a camera that takes smaller, higher resolution pictures than this one with large, grainy pictures...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:00 PM   #14
Super Moderator

well with more resolution, the grain becomes "finer" when viewed at appropriate sizes or printed. so some of the differences are negated because of this.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:02 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrictypewriter View Post
Should I return my camera and get a 5MP one, then? I'd rather have a camera that takes smaller, higher resolution pictures than this one with large, grainy pictures...
Sorry, that's not what I was meaning. I meant if camera manufactures made a 5MP camera in a higher price bracket it would have much better noise handling making a strong performer.

If you got a 5MP camera (not sure even if there are any) in a current range then it is going to be very entry level and noise will be entry level too.

So it was more me having a rant about consumer pressure to make a camera that sells over a manufacturer making a camera that will product a better photo.

In more areas numbers sell, be it horse power with cars, 0-60 times, computer processor speeds, TV size etc etc, and cameras are not different. If there are 2 cameras, one with 5MP and another with 10MP both for say $250, they have the same zoom etc, very few people are going to go for the 5MP one even if they are told the results are noticeably better.

I don't think you are going to find too much out there that will perform too much differently.

Last edited by Mark1616; Dec 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:05 PM   #16

Alright, so I'll stick with this.
I guess I'll get used to camera "noise"...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:07 PM   #17
Super Moderator

at normal viewing distances and print sizes. it should not be a problem.

also as you shoot in better conditions, you will see a big difference as well.

if you look at some of the shots in our samples page from the review here at steve's you can see it looks quite good when shot in proper lighting, etc.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-14.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:10 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrictypewriter View Post
Alright, so I'll stick with this.
I guess I'll get used to camera "noise"...
Another thing is although you see noise at very high zoom levels, when sharing online or printing at normal sizes you won't see it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:17 PM   #19

They look a bit better, but there are still grainy parts in those pictures, as well as pixely highlights.... I guess I'm being too picky; I can fix that stuff when I draw it.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Another thing is although you see noise at very high zoom levels, when sharing online or printing at normal sizes you won't see it.
Alright, that's good.
Thanks!