Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:45 AM   #1

Default plastic tripod mount on a70

im thinking the A70 will be my first digital camera perchase but i was kinda worried about all the plastic. have you ever had trouble with the plastic tripod mount, it seems cheap.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:04 AM   #2

just don't cross thread it. i really wouldn't worry too much. its not like your going to try to hang a 300mm lens on it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:04 AM   #3

just don't cross thread it. i really wouldn't worry too much. its not like your going to try to hang a 300mm lens on it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:24 AM   #4

I've not tried it yet, but the fact that it's plastic doesn't bother me much. Since the camera body itself is plastic (am I right? never tried scratching it to see if it's metal or just paint ), I don't see any point in making the tripod mount metal or even painting it metal - the tripod would scratch the painting. Moreover, I reckon the plastic may be even better, since it's more likely to suppress the vibrations from the ground (not sure about that though). Also, the camera is so light that I think there was no real need to make it metal.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:54 PM   #5

Like sjms said, you're not going to have a huge lens hanging off the front of it so, I wouldn't worry too much as ling as you're careful when you thread the camera on the tripod mount.
In my opinion though, it would have been nice if Canon had put a threaded metal insert in here.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 1:51 AM   #6

after looking and playing with one for a little while it dosn't seem that big of a deal. but i could really care less if the paint was rubbed off by a metal tripod. over all it seems like a sturdy camera...
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote