Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:17 PM   #1

Default Any lens's for the canon powershot sx20???

I bought a cannon powershot SX20 IS a few days ago, and was planning to buy a telephoto lens for it. Are there any that are compatible with the SX20? I bought a filter adapter for it as well as some filters and a macro lens, but that is all I have found so far.

I would like to buy the "Raynox DCR-2020PRO" but I'm not sure if i can use that.

Does anyone have an info on this camera about lens attachments or adapters for the lens?

Thanks!
-Eric
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Use of a Teleconverter is not recommended with your camera, because the adapters available for it are designed for light weight filters, not for a larger Teleconverter. See this page for more info:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:04 PM   #3

its not recommended because of the weight, or it wont even fit? If i keep good support, do you think the Raynox DCR-2020PRO would fit? It has a 58mm adapter for it.

It says it's "9.75 oz / 275g Light Weight" in the description. I dont know a whole lot about cameras.. is that light?

(Thanks for the quick response!)
-Eric
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:17 PM   #4
Administrator

It's not really recommended, because the motor in the lens mechanism isn't designed to carry the extra weight. You normally see a different type of solution for use with a TC (mounting tube that surrounds the lens mechanism to keep any weight from impacting it) You do see some people using one on that type of camera from time to time. But, you could potentially damage the motor or lens. Chances are, you're going to get quite a bit of vignetting with a teleconverter, too (and I don't know what kind of quality to expect trying to use one with a camera that has as much zoom range as yours already has). IOW, you'd need to try it at your own risk, unless someone else here has already experimented using one on an SX20.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote