Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Video looks good, pictures don't!!

Help, I have an older canon elph sd 600. It's a great little point & shoot,
I actually purchased with a waterproof case for taking pictures when snorkeling.
I found myself reaching for it to take to concerts and other stuff. Problem is, it takes great video in a concert setting, but the exposure in the still picture mode never comes out right. I've tried many of the optional settings, with no luck.
Can someone help me get this right. I would like to take great still pictures (like the video I get) at concerts with this camera. any suggestions??
thanks,
gene
levenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Default Video looks good, pictures don't!!

Video looks good, pictures don't!!
Help, I have an older canon elph sd 600. It's a great little point & shoot,
I actually purchased with a waterproof case for taking pictures when snorkeling.
I found myself reaching for it to take to concerts and other stuff. Problem is, it takes great video in a concert setting, but the exposure in the still picture mode never comes out right. I've tried many of the optional settings, with no luck.
Can someone help me get this right. I would like to take great still pictures (like the video I get) at concerts with this camera. any suggestions??
thanks,
gene
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Administrator

That's probably going to be tough with your type of camera, as it's really not designed for low light use without a flash.

I'd probably try the Manual Exposure mode with it. Note that it's not a true manual exposure mode. But, it does give you access to Exposure Compensation and White Balance settings.

Force the flash to off (leaving it on will cause issues, since shutter speeds may not be as slow as needed for proper exposure, and the flash will be useless at further ranges anyway)
Set your white balance to Tungsten (Incandescent)
Set your ISO speed to ISO 400 or 800 (or Hi) versus Auto ISO.

Take some test photos and see if they look overexposed (burnt out looking skin tones that are too bright). That's a common problem with stage lighting (since you'll have some very dark areas in sections that are not in the lights, fooling the metering). If so (overexposed), use a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation to get a darker exposure than the camera metered and take test photos until the performers under the lights look properly exposed. You may also want to try Center Weighted metering and see if exposure is more reliable that way.

You'll probably need to time your photos so that you're taking them when the performers are relatively still (during long notes, just as a musician is relatively still at the point they change directions when swaying, etc.). Half press the shutter button to get focus lock, then time it so you're pressing it the rest of the way down so that the shutter clicks during the least amount of movement for less blur. I'd take lots of shots using both ISO 400 and ISO 800 (or use the ISO Hi setting and it should use a higher ISO speed as needed). Note that you'll have higher noise levels as you increase ISO speed. But, that can be better than more blur.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:12 PM   #4

gene-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The SD-600 is not the newest of cameras. And the video and the still photos are different modes with the SD-600. There is a very real possibility that you have lost some portion of the still photo mode. Unfortunately, cameras do not last very long.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:06 PM   #5

Default Video looks good, pictures don't

Thanks for the reply,
The pics looks good (sd 600)in normal light, and underwater, but, not in a concert situation, where it's dark, except for the stage. But the video looks good
I also have a Canon S2 IS( older as well) superzoom which acts the same way in similar situations. Pics are dark, video looks good.
I bought a nikon d300 but too much to carry, into a concert.
I really think it's the settings on the camera.
Or, is there a newer, small, point and shoot, that would do
better in these circumstances????????
gene
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:10 PM   #6
Administrator

gene:

You posted this same question in more than one forum, which can make it confusing for members. That's referred to as "cross posting" and is frowned upon in forums because of that problem (not all of the answers in one place, so members may not be aware of other responses to it).

So, I've merged the two threads you started.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:59 PM   #7

Thanks,
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator

jim covered it well. its a problem is that the p&s is metering for a flash shot, but the flash isn't near powerful enough to illuminate your subject, thus you will have a severely underexposed and grainy picture.

forcing it to work without flash will help the exposure. but keep in mind the small digicam sensors aren't meant to work in low light, like the one in your d300. so it will be noisy, or even worse the iso won't go high enough to get fast shutter speeds. so you will have some blur and noise.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote