Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:55 PM   #1

Default S90 Setting

Hello All-

I recently purchased a s90 and want to see what some settings I should make or change from the defaults. I am new to photography, but I know that each environment will need different settings. I just want to see what some good everyday settings are and what I should set the shortcuts to. I am thinking setting the front control ring to ISO.
imsuperjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

for everyday, i think shooting in P or program mode would make the most sense. and setting the front ring to ISO would be the best bet i think, and the rear control will be used for exposure comp.

one trick for the S90 is outdoors on bright sunny days, you may want to dial down a little bit of -EV exposure comp, as it can clip highlights.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:31 PM   #3

Hi --

I agree with Hards. That is how I have been using my S90 most of the time -- P mode with front ring set to ISO and exposure compensation on the back ring. That is the default for P mode, I believe and it seems to allow pretty fast setting adjustments and pictures without remaining in auto mode. I also have the custom colors set to increase sharpening +2 and contrast and saturation +1. But I would suggest taking test shots both at the default setting and then making different adjustments, one at a time, and see what appeals to you. I'm still experimenting with mine and trying to figure out what works best in different situations. The shortcut button also can be a real time saver. How you set it really depends upon what feature you feel you might need most frequently.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Good luck and enjoy your camera.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:57 PM   #4

In P mode, all I can adjust is the ISO and exposure correct? I guess I should have included that my everyday shooting is mainly my 5 year old indoors.
imsuperjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:02 PM   #5

Well, if you're referring to changing shutter speed, etc., you're right that you won't be able to do that with P mode. but you may have all the control you need anyway.

If you are taking pictures indoors of a child in perpetual motion, I assume you will probably want to be using the flash to prevent blur. Some people suggest using the "Kids and Pets" scene mode, which I understand works pretty well for these situations (I've used it a couple of times myself when I wanted an quick auto mode indoors and it seemed to work out ok), but it is a complete auto-type mode, so it doesn't give you any ability for control over exposure compensation or ISO. Alternatively, if you stay in P mode and use the flash, you can still adjust ISO and play around with the flash exposure compensation (found in the function menu) to adjust flash power output.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:31 PM   #6

Keeping the S-90 in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode with the ISO set to auto will allow the fastest camera operation, provided that you remain within the Flash Range for the S-90 which is 9 to 11 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote