Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Default G11: black spot/spec in optical viewfinder

Hi, I just received my Canon G11 today. I bought it from Amazon.com and chose 1 day shipping so I can play with it this weekend. I'm really excited about it and I can't wait to learn the different functions and get better at digital photography.

I just unboxed my Canon G11. so far it looks good. Took some pictures of my room and did a 10 second video capture. However when I look through the optical viewfinder with one of my eyes I notice small black spot or spec in the middle. I tried cleaning the front and back, but I think that spot is inside the optical viewfinder. It looks like a black smear taking probably 5-8% of the middle of the screen, and probably much more when I zoom in. I took some pictures and looked through those and that black spot or spec I mentioned doesnt show up in the pictures. So I think its only limited to the optical viewfinder which is a good sign.

But it bothers me simply because I spent $439.99 plus almost 30 bux for 1 day shipping, just to get it the following day. Granted I will probably be using the lcd viewfinder most of the time, but one of the reason I bought G11 over S90 was the build and the fact that it had an optical viewfinder.

What do you think I should do? Amazon is pretty lenient and good as far as returning things. Any advice and tips is appreciated. I just wanted to vent out lol .

Last edited by saltycoco; Feb 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
saltycoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2

send it back, and amazon will send you a different one.

Since it looks like a smear I will rule out it was the centering dot of the vf.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:40 AM   #3

saltycoco-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Amazon is very good with returns. And returns are very easy to do. So in my opinion, I would just exchange the Canon G-11 camera. It should be no problem at all. Shoot with the camera this weekend, and get to know the camera as well as having some fun. Then make the return on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I decided I'm going to get a replacement, but Amazon just emailed me back saying they are out of stock, but I can still get a full refund including shipping if I return it or I can keep it with the defect and get $88.00 refund for keeping it. I'll probably just end up returning it and getting a new one when Amazon has it available. This camera sells out pretty fast coz amazon has the cheapest deal on the net.
saltycoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:15 PM   #5

It is a very good bridge camera all around. But I would would send it back too. For you to send it to canon to get it fix is just a headache, for a 88 dollar discount.