Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:03 PM   #1

Default Canon SD960 v. SD970 v. SD780 v. SD940

Hi All,
My head is positively swimming and I could really use some advice. I am debating between these four Canon point and shoot models and am totally confused by this point. The 780 has only 3x optical zoom, the 940 and 960 have 4x, and the 970 has 5x. I don't mind a little extra size, as long as I can still toss it into my purse or my husband's pocket. I really do want good image quality, especially at night where my SD600 seemed to underperform. I know all point and shoots do, but if there is a significant difference between the quality of these cameras, I would pick the higher quality in a heartbeat. I also read something about the 960 being better than the 970 because the 960 has f/2.8, while the 970 starts at f/3.2. Honestly, I don't know what this means, but some people are concerned about it. Anyhow, I would really appreciate any advice people might have to give me. I don't upgrade cameras often and want to make the best choice to last me for the next five years or so Thanks in advance for your help!
yoplait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:39 PM   #2

yoplait-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

Please keep in mind that small imager cameras like those found in the SD-series do not do well at high ISO settings that the camera might select, when in auto ISO, they show a lot of electronic noise in thier images which some folks characterize as "grain."

Yes, the slightly wider aperture of the SD-960 would be an advantage with night shots, but that advantage would not be huge. Bottom line you are asking a SD-series camera to perform like the Canon G-11, which has a much physically larger imager, as well as a much larger price.

We hope that you are enjoying your weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:25 PM   #3
Super Moderator

have you looked at the S-90. its more expensive but worth the extra money in the long run (5 year plan) especially with your desire for night shooting.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. The G-11 is a little big, and I really do want a small camera that I can toss in my purse or in my husband's pocket. The G-11 seems too big for that. As for the S-90...it looks pretty good! I'm not scared off by the price, I can swing that for a great camera. I'm a little concerned that it will be too advanced for me, though. My husband is excited at the chance to play around with advanced features, but I want to make sure that I can just point and shoot as well Also, I'm not thrilled that there's no HD video, especially at that price point. But thanks for all of the input. I think I'm now down to the S-90 or the SD940is. Any one else have any suggestions?
yoplait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the S90 operates just like the rest of them in auto-mode. and really for night shooting, this is your best bet. really, the only downside at all for this cameras is the lack of HD video.

canon just released its newest bunch of SD cameras, but they won't do as well in low-light as the s90, due to their increased resolution.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote