Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #11

Nech-

Just for the record. Here is a 100% crop from the Fuji F-70 EXR. To me it looks just like the 100% crop from the SX-200.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Super Moderator

here is a 100% crop from my f70exr at ISO 800
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Super Moderator

well, what i see is that the F70 resolves more detail at ISO800.

however, the SD200 has more resolution, so if you were to normalize the whole scene to a similar print size, the resolution increase would probably help to equalize the details.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, what i see is that the F70 resolves more detail at ISO800.

however, the SD200 has more resolution, so if you were to normalize the whole scene to a similar print size, the resolution increase would probably help to equalize the details.
Ok so what I am seeing as less noise is really just more detail but I saw an interesting thing is that the f70 picked a smaller area of the picture to be in focus... is the canon better at having the whole pic in focus?
Here is a pic I shot of my daughter
EXIF data
f/4.0, exposure 1/60sec, focal length 6.5 lens, ISO 800, flash oh and I used the M 4:3 size (5MP setting) - I don't know if that last thing changes anything as now we are looking at a 5MP shot as opposed to a 10 or 12 one?
Name:  DSCF1139_1024.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  78.8 KB

Here is 100% crop
Name:  DSCF1139_Chitas.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  102.0 KB
the book is so clear and not fuzzy, the rest of the photo is indeed like the one Sarah posted... you can see here in the crop on the hands and face but why is this one area so sharp? I noticed on many pics one area is REALLY clear and then the rest if fuzzy. Does it have to do with how it is focusing?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nech770; Feb 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15

nech,

Perhaps a better question to ask is: that one especially sharp area, is it in the central part of the image. That appears to be the case. Lenses are inherently sharper in the center, than at the edges of the photo frame. It is for that reason that one of the judgment points in viewing a resolving power of a lens, is edge to edge sharpness.

It might also be the variation from one lens to another within a production run. I also posted an ISO 800 sample from the Fuji F-70EXR and it did not exhibit that unique central area sharpness.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:56 AM   #16

oh I see - so maybe a silly question is the canons lens more "even" I would think even would be more desirable correct? It might just be an anomaly that the f70 is so sharp in the middle? Is that what you are saying? It does not have to do with my focusing correct? I assumed that it was just I don't know how to focus right.
ok again I have very little experience to judge by... thanks again for all the help and guidance you are giving me.
Nech
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:28 PM   #17

Nech-

That is correct. Center sharpness could very well account for that anomaly. To my way of thinking it is overall camera performance that makes the real difference.

And you know of course, that in the final analysis, a DSLR will always "outshoot" any P+S digicam. It is the physical form factor and the reduced cost that points the search toward high performing compact zoom cameras. That being the case, we have to accept certain compromises, to get us beyond the stage of pondering, and into the field and shooting.

Perhaps you see it a bit differently, I am not sure. Have a great weekend. All the best to you and your wonderful family.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:53 PM   #18

thanks - i am fully aware that dslr will be better and prob a bigger bridge cam... but I guess what I am looking for is in the compact big zoom - which is best for my needs as a busy mom to get good shots...
also if I am not opposed to using flash... how often will I need to go up to iso800 anyways?
so in the end it looks like the sx200 is worth $70 more over the f70exr correct?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:25 PM   #19

Nech-

It is a preliminary decision, but yes, I would say that the Canon SX-200 is indeed worth the extra cost. One of the largest issues for me is that the SX-200 is an easy to use, fun camera, that seems to make taking photos a good deal more pleasurable and easy to accomplish. It is the kind of camera that I find myself wanting to take with me everywhere because taking photos is easy, and set-up is reduced to a minimum. That is a real contrast to the Samsung FW-15Z that I found neither fun, nor easy. It was a camera where you were constantly cross checking things, and you had to work hard to get good images.

I sincerely believe that having a fun and easy camera makes everything flow more easily and put a camera into the proper perspective. A camera should make things easy and fun, and that is what the SX-200 does for me. No, it is not the quality level of a DSLR, nor does it have a DSLR price tag. But it fills my camera needs quite nicely.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:28 PM   #20

thanks sarah,
how is the low light af? and how is the battery life?