Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:21 PM   #1

Default Any Canon SX-200 or SX210 Users?

After searching for an ideal compact zoom class camera, I selected the SX-200, and it arrived late this afternoon. So I will be posting my impressions of the SX-200 and would really appreciate any tips that current SX-200 user would like to pass on.

All in all it, it appears well made and easy to use. We have only taken a few photos thus far. Here is a photo of me the my husband Bradley took this evening. We will keep you posted as we move ahead with the SX-200.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:34 PM   #2

I noticed the skin tones are quite red... is that typical of canon or is it just this one shot? I noticed it in other shots you posted... but I wonder if it more to do with your lighting?

oops - I think it is my monitor... and viewing angles... when I scroll up or down the skin tones are better. That said does the canon produce accurate colors?

Last edited by nech770; Feb 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:18 PM   #3

Default Canon SX-200 Impressions

Nech-

I like Panasonic colors and while Canon colors do appear to be somewhat the same, however, Canons do seem to favor red somewhat. In my SX-10 I had color choices. I have not been through the SX-200 documentation yet, but I will see if there is a similar feature for the SX-200, as well. I will keep you advised.

The camera is very easy to use and the smaller size does make the SX-200 very convenient to use. I will keep posting as we gain more experience with the SX-200. Here is my photo again, with the red channel reduced a bit.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:56 PM   #4

that looks better.. now a silly question how did you reduce the red channel? This is a photoshop thing right? Does it have to do with the lighting or just a function of the camera?
A few more questions for you - I know you are busy so whenever you get to it - no rush or pressure.

1 - How is the IQ compared to the samsung hz15 I know you were playing with and returned? I was reading above iso 400 it gets noisy and 800 is just barely usable...
2 - How is the shot to shot time with this one?
3 - how is the low light performance? The AF especially?
4- how are the special scene modes? are they good or just a gimmick?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5

Nech-

The adjustment that I make to the photo was quickly done in Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0, which we teach. I just went into Hue and Saturation and tweaked a tiny bit of red out. It took less than 20 seconds.

I will answer your other questions progressively, as I take more photos. Based on a half dozen photos taken thus far, I would say that the image quality is better than the Samsung. The ease of camera operation is decidedly better than the Samsung HW-15Z and the Panasonic ZS-1 or ZS-3 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:36 AM   #6

Sarah,
Saw this posted about the sx200 - what are your thoughts? Is this true?

"The sx200 had a problem with subjects glowing (like Purple Fringing but without the purple!) in not even challenging areas. "

I don't want radioactive looking people Although it could be really artistic.
Nech
Old Feb 11, 2010, 5:07 PM   #7

nech-

Yes, I say that over at dpreview in the thread about dust halos. There was nothing to support it by way of a photo or a further posting, as I recall, so I dismissed it.

I will remain vigilant as I continue to take more photos with the SX-200 and report any instances of radio activity.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:05 PM   #8

OK, Nech-

Here is an ISO 800 photo with the SX-200, taking while I was shopping and picking up a prescription for Bradley.

I was clearly please with the SX-200's performance.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:08 PM   #9

Nech-

Here is a 100% crop of the photo above. And again, keep in mind, when doing a 100% crop you are at the actual pixel size. Again this looks quite positive.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

so that 100% crop is good? for iso 800 - all I really have to compare with is the f70 and those iso 800 ones look cleaner... I will try and find a min and upload and crop some. But my mom just called with a computer crisis that I need to deal with in addition to a fussy teething baby - she got her first tooth...YAY!!