Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:53 PM   #11

Thanks for the explanation... hmm so for fast moving kids maybe the sx120 is a better idea - but there is no wide angle... hmm gotta think about this. Hmm is the difference really significant in terms of shutter speed? I mean with a fast moving child the difference between 1/25 or 1/50 is it significant? might be worth giving up the wide angle if it means less blurry shots... for now with my a40 I didn't notice a big problem with blurry shots... it has apature - f/2.8 at full wide angle to f/4.8 at full telephoto which is like the sx120... hmm
I guess I ask - how often will the slower aperture be a problem? Sorry if I am asking such basic questions... I just want to understand.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:57 PM   #12

Nech-

I have been at this "gig" for more than 60 years and I have raised 8 children. Here is how I worked out a deal to solve that common action problem, blurred photos.

If I got a blurred photo, we would play the game called "Slow Motion on TV." The children were all aware of how sports and the Olympics use slow motion films to show action in great detail.

So it became a game that the children loved. We would re-create the scene that produced the blurred photo using slow motion. It made the scene even more memorable, and they loved the "acting out." Sometime the whole family would get involved with Dad acting as the Director asking for realism and good expressions from his "actors."

So yes, lens performance does make a difference, when selecting a camera. It may not be a huge difference, but it can indeed make a difference.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:59 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I like that game Sarah, something I would never thought of. LOL
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:01 PM   #14

wow 8 kids - do any live near you? Are they close in age...
Glad to hear someone understands how kids work...
That is a good idea .... with the slow motion... hmm probably will go for the sx200 though... I think the wide angle for landscape and group photos, and of the kids in the park/plays etc would be more useful and hope for the best with speed...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:50 PM   #15

Nech and Dustin-

Those children are all grown-up now with their own families. They range from age 51 through 40. We currently have 16 grandchildren with 2 more on the way. But do you know that old "Slow Motion" game got mentioned and joked about when we all got together for the Super Bowl.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote